Newbie with some questions

Started by loveroffungi, August 24, 2012, 10:07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loveroffungi

Greetings fellow fungi fans, happy trips to all. This is only my second grow, the first one was a GT strain and they came out very well, Im using the pf tek cake method. For my second grow, I have 7 jars incubating, 2 that I birthed a little early. Most are Amazon, and one is Hawaiin.
Anyhow my question is about humidity. I am storing the cakes in a terrarium that is inside a grow tent, I have a humidifer in the grow tent, a very small one, but have heard that this is not necessary? I used it with my last grow though and the cubensis came out very well but I did get some aborts. So my question is, do I need the humidifier? It is keeping the whole tent around 80%. I thought this would be ideal for the shroomies. I am also spraying the terrarium or misting it about 4 times a day as well as fanning. THings seem to be going slower than my first grow, and patience is a tough virtue to learn. Perhaps the strain is just slower Im not sure. In my first grow I birthed all the cakes a little too early but they still produced. This time around I am letting seven of the cakes fully consolidate before birthing em. The two ones I birthed early have shown no growth yet and its been about a week. Should I be worried? Thanks for any advice you may have.

loveroffungi

ALso the shroomery appears to be down anyone know why?

darksyde

loveroffungi,

Hi and welcome to the forum. 
Ok so the tent thing isnt doing anything for ya.  Its actually creating a breeding ground for all kinds of contams that you really dont want surrounding your terrarium when you're opening the lid to mist & fan.
Do you have a hygrometer?  Whats the RH in your tub?

Also, what do you mean by birthing the cakes early?  Before they're fully colonized?

As for the time table, they do vary from strain to strain.. Ive had Cambos fully colonize a 1qt jar in 8 days from syringe, and had Mazatapec's take almost a month.

Pinning can be anywhere from 7-16 days under ideal conditions, so dont start sweating yet.

While you're waiting on things to happen with these, its a great time to start another batch.. It'll give you something else to do other than just staring at the terrarium, and keeping projects in various stages of growth means you wont have to wait from scratch if something goes wrong with this batch     

loveroffungi

Thanks for the advice. I dont have a hygrometer, but I see what you are saying about the tent. It is a nice way to keep it concealed however so Ill probably still use it, do you think I should get rid of the humidifier in there? Good idea about starting a new batch, Im gonna start working on that soon. Need some more prints though! 

darksyde

If keeping the tent is a must, then yes, get rid of the humidifier.. that moisture will allow other molds & bacteria to grow inside your tent.

You need to get a good hygrometer too.  Best if it has the probe wire so the unit itself isn't inside the terrarium.  High humidity and electronics aren't the best match

Smithlife

Pls share more info like this.