let jars breathe or no?

Started by zebdead, February 07, 2013, 08:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zebdead

So I'm confused on whether or not it is good idea to take tape/foil over the holes off and let the myc breathe. I understand the dry layer of verm acts as a barrier against contams, but is it enough? I've had what seems like a stall in a few jars and I think letting them breathe would kickstart the action. Also, a few of the jars that I want to let breathe were not given the full .5inch of dry verm and isn't visible anymore, still let them breathe or too risky?

Cacophonyhead

Your BRF cakes dont need FAE; only GE. I say turn them upside-down if you think they have stalled out. How long has the myc been growing? What are your temps? Throw some pics up too if you can. :ph34r:

Cacophonyhead

I just realized we've already had that discussion; so are we talking about the same cakes? How long has it been now?

zebdead

it's been 39 days so far, like i said last discussion, some are fine and some really seemed like they stalled. I just pulled the tape off yeserday after reading up on gas exchange. Hopefully not contams will pop up, but I'm pretty sure there is enough dry verm to act as a barrier. I'll try and get pics soon

Cacophonyhead

My first cakes did a complete stall. I even took off the lid and just had the verm barrier because I was inexperienced and desperate. I knew there was nothing more I could do at that point; and when I explained this to darksyde, he suggested I just break up the cakes and transfer to grains. Im glad I did cause all went well after that. They were still to this day the most potent boomers I've grown. You may want to consider it.  :mellow:

zebdead

You're saying crumble them and add to jar of pc'd grain? Do I do casing with that?

Cacophonyhead

Thats what I did. PC'd some wheat grain kernals, cut out peices of the cake that were covered in myc and threw them in the grain jars. I was so happy because the cakes were stalled for almost two months, one was even starting to invitro. After adding to the grains, they were 100% colonized in 3-4 days. Good luck! :mellow:

zebdead

awesome, thanks! I will be trying this with the jars that seem to have stalled.