Re-using cakes

Started by DJP PA, March 12, 2013, 06:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJP PA

I've used my cakes twice with success. Cleaned them off, soaked and covered with vermiculite again. After two days two of them are quickly covering themselves with bright white (I assume mycelium). Will they still bear mushrooms this way? Should I take them out of the box with the other cakes?

MoGrow

Yes you can get multiple flushes off of cakes and bulk substrates.
after the first flush redunk for 12 hours, its recommended to not re-verm your cakes after the first flush.
pop em back in your FC and treat em like the first flush.
One mans misery, is another mans mystery!

My Alcohol Lamp

FadedFungus

Thanks MoGro I was just going to ask that same question but DJP beat me to it...Thanks.
How long should you wait before you should expect to see new pin growth?

MoGrow

on second flush its about a week - 10 days before i see anything new in the way of knots or pins.

My Alcohol Lamp

FadedFungus

Thank you.  I have my cakes soaking for 12 hours then I will place them back in the F.C. and hope I get a second flush.  How many flushes can you usually get? 3-4? How do you know when the cake is done producing?

MoGrow

usually they will go a couple weeks and just put out a fruit here and there instead of flushing. i never flush cakes past 2 tho. but thats just me

My Alcohol Lamp

FadedFungus

So I'm on my second flush with a set of cakes I harvested on Friday and already they are starting to pin.  I did a 12 hour drunk to rehydrate them.  I just wanted to share and pass on some knowledge.