fuzzy first sign

Started by axis, May 19, 2007, 05:17:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

axis

will raising the heat inside of chamber (78-80 to say 80-82 (example) allow for faster growth of mycellium?

Is it possible for it to grow so slow that contam will set in where it might not, noramally? or should temp remain lower? the temps and humidity factors here are not of the tropics, but rather more desert terrain, yup, all four seasons, (story book) way unpredictable. Therefore the incubator?

Baphom3t

"will raising the heat inside of chamber (78-80 to say 80-82 (example) allow for faster growth of mycellium?"

Raising the temps will make them colonize faster,but contams like to flourish in warmer temps as well.
78-80 is good temps to colonize at.
Contams do not like cooler temps for the most part.
I colonize all mine at room temps. which are around 70-75
If your temps where you live is warm year round you shouldn't need a incubator.
I live where it gets cold in the winter and I have never used a incubator.
Don't forget that the temps in your colonizing jars are gonna be higher than the temp you set your incubator at, I.E, If your ambient temps are 78-80,the temps in your jars are gonna be around 82-86.
Good Luck,
Baph

psilocybin warrior

I dont think their is any need for a chamber to colonize, I have always had mine at room temp as well it varies from 70-80.  Remember that inside the jars is around 4 degrees warmer than it is outside.

psilocybin warrior

Allrighty then... temps are coming around now so I am going to sheck it out, with a second batch of jars using the simple minds tech. i put the jars in the original box they came in and dropped a heavy towel on top. what say you'all?

should be ok

psilocybin warrior

what size jars are you using.

axis

psilocybin warrior

shoulda went with the pint jars

anno

I don't recommend pint jars for the PF tek.

psilocybin warrior

well last time i inoc`d some jars i did a mixture the pints finished first and none of them had any contams.

anno

The pints colonized faster than 1/2 pints ? Hmm...

psilocybin warrior

Yup i guess ive been fortunate  :huh:

anno

Same substrate mix, same spore syringe, same lids,  same incubation temperature?

psilocybin warrior

axis

I'm gonnna be needin some tips for a FC. I'm gonna build a fair sized one of wood and plastic sheeting cuz all jars won't be ready at the same time, plus I have an another batch of ten jars that will follow soon after the first batch.

Someone mentioned a type of humdifier that you run into the FC assisted by a aquarium pump and bubblers (in a box using coffee filters),which I do have.

what else?

psilocybin warrior

I dunno send a pic of it when its built.

axis

I'd  just use the simple minds method of fanninng and misting but sounds like something else is needed, like holes in the tub or foggers and fish pumps. need simple but effective.   

Baphom3t

axis,

Everything you will need for a fc is dependent on the type of fc you use.
no need to build one.
here is a couple examples.

Tub/Tote setup :
1. A plastic rubbermaid tote,drill a series of holes about the size of a pencil on all 6 sides.
2. A wire mesh or something to keep the cakes off the perlite.You can even use the lids from your jars to keep them off the perlite.
3. Perlite. You will need a layer at least 3 inches thick
4. Hygrometer for visual aid to see humidity levels.The best ones are the ones used for cigars.
Thats it for the tub/tote method.

Indoor Greenhouse setup :
1. Indoor greenhouse(4-tier),which can be purchased at wal-mart,lowes,home depot etc.
2. A ultrasonic fogger (cool mist type) for the production of humidity.
3. A coolmist non fogger type for FAE
4. A catch tray to catch the mositure formed from the fogger.
5. Hygrometer for visual aid to see humidity levels.The best ones are the ones used for cigars.
6. A bit of clear visqueen plastic to make a tube for the coolmist to go in the greenhouse.(you will need some duct tape to help make the tube.)
7. A timer (preferably one with small time increments)
8. A bit of duct tape to tape the tube to the coolmist.
Thats about it for the GH setup.

I am about to fire up my GH again so once I get it set up I will take a couple pics of it to show you my setup.

If you have a ton of cakes going you will need room.
Tub/tote is good for a few unless you get the biggest tubs you can get,but thats up to you if you want a shitload of tubs in your house.
A greenhouse can hold quite a bit.

TC,
Baph

axis

thanks Baph, I appreciate it. you got it together bro. yer cool.

not sure I'll need anything though. ive used a good chunk of time tryin to get this "Off The Land".  jars have been 5 weeks and still not "fully" ,,, way slow.
(PF Classic syringes from The Hawkseye. alot of spores in one and not too much in another. took him a while to send also. was off on adventure golfing and seeking different strains in the tropics, i think).

I don't give up very often, but this is trying the hell uv me.

I'll just wait it out and see what happens. gottta feel that success and sense of appreciation

psilocybin warrior

Yeah depending on the strain colonization can take a very long time.  The shortest ive had was 3 weeks and the longest has been 2 months.