Too much moisture?

Started by alejio, May 26, 2007, 09:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alejio

There is condensation on the inside of the fruiting chamber.  Also is there a way to get the cakes to begin pinning?  They are at almost 100% colonized, but they wouldn't progress so I birthed them.  I am using perlite with an airstone/pump, and they are resting on the lids with a little extra vermiculite with water at the bottom of the lids.  Anything sound awry?  Oh and what should the temp be considering there are no signs of pinning yet?

anno

QuoteThere is condensation on the inside of the fruiting chamber.
That's normal and desired.

QuoteThey are at almost 100% colonized, but they wouldn't progress so I birthed them.
You should cut away the uncolonized portions, otherwise you are risking contamination.

QuoteAlso is there a way to get the cakes to begin pinning? 
Cold shocking in combination with dunking might help.
Simply place each cake in its glass, fill it with water, cover it so the cake is submerged and place in fridge overnight. Next day place the cakes them back into the fruiting chamber and then give it time.

Quotewhat should the temp be considering there are no signs of pinning yet?
Around 22°C.

alejio

Thanks anno, you si teh life saver.
Also, when I cut out the small uncolonized parts, the inside of the cake only looks lightly colonized, is that normal for the white to be much denser at the edges of the jar, or should I be worried about the part that is now exposed getting contaminated?