Contaminated?

Started by Sloth, June 14, 2013, 06:05:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sloth

Greetings!
Few days ago my perlite/rice flower started to change color to slightly yellow.
Is it contamination with Bacillus?
Should I start everything from beginning?
What could be the source of contamination?

Cacophonyhead

Looks like way too much yellow spots to be metabolic waste. I have minimal experience with BRF, but I'd say thats a contam. Also, what recipe did you follow? Did I read that right? Your cake is made of perlite? I'd assume a cake is holding waaaaay too much moisture if its made with perlite. Contams love moisture.

Sloth

Buying vermiculite in Poland is impossible so we have adjusted the recipe for just perlite. I'm quite shure that the recipe is not wrong. Extra moisture could be added while the process of inoculation. But its max 1-2 ml. My question now is - can mycelium "win" with Bacillus? Mycelium is very strong, this is a photo after 9 days.

edit: If it can help - jar was waiting for inoculationg in a fridge for 1,5 week.

Cacophonyhead

Im my own experience, the only "cure" to a contam is to bury the grains in a hole, lol. Does it smell like mushrooms when you take the tinfoil off or is it funky? Have you tried opening an acct at the Shroomery? Lots of master growers there... They have a great contam forum.

Sloth

I will remove tinfoil in few days, i want to wait 'till jar will be fully colonized.(its 95% right now). Mycelium dont slow down on areas suspected of contamination. Well I tried to ask ppl on Shroomery, but I cant even register because my ISP is banned.
Well shrooms have to deal with bacteria in their natural environment so I will wait and check whats going on in there. (this mycelium is very strong, tomorow is the 14'th day from inoculation.

FadedFungus

I use BRF (Pk-Tek) and from it looks like to me you just have too much BRF is your mix.  Flour mix varies in color slightly depending on what manufacture you got it from.  Make sure you follow the measurements closely...  I had little patches of yellow and specks of brown on the sides of my jars and I left them alone until 100% sure they were contaminated and the white mycelium grew over those areas.   I would say be patient until you can confirm your suspicion.  It wont do you any harm to leave it sealed in the jar; and under no circumstances should you open the jar in your house.  If it is contamination take it far away from your house and dump the cake.  Place the jar in a bag to keep it sealed.  Also be mindful of the wind and your clothes. If it is contamination (trichoderma or something similar) then you don't want the spores getting on your clothes and/or getting in your house.   Hope that helps.

psilocybin warrior

If the yellow is fluid, it's probably just mycelium piss.