spores vs. mycellium

Started by axis, June 03, 2007, 08:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

axis

does the amount of innoculate determine the quantity? For instance: if I use less innoc per jar than if I would have used more per jar would the flushes be greater, would the size of the fruit be bigger/smaller etc. considering the jars fully colonized either way.

Baphom3t

No.
Mycellium will colonize faster than spores.
from what I understand fruit size is determined by a few factors.
Genetics,Humidity,and moisture content of your spawning medium.

axis

sounds like you're doing it right and enjoying, cool. can't wait.

so lots of humidity and no to soupy moisture, right? Then the perfect temp too I spose.

Baphom3t

"so lots of humidity and no to soupy moisture, right?"

Pf tek cakes require 95-100% moisture more toward the 100.
Cased grains require 88-95% moisture.
If you case your PF cakes you can get away with the same RH as cased grains,if not then you want as high as you can get with the RH.
How you deliver humidity to your FC is dependent on the type of setup you use.
For instance I use a green house setup,I dont use perlite because of the surface area of my setup. I use a Ultrasonic fogger and a coolmist(not the impaler coolmist)
If you are using a terraium or tub,then perlite will probably work best due to the smaller surface area.

No matter what you use as a FC there should be some condensation on the inside of your chamber.
Temps are important,but I don't use anything to heat my FC.
Room Temps are good enough unless it gets stupid cold in your house.
If your house stays between 66-75 degrees then you won't need to worry about temps.
T.C
Baph

axis

cool, thanx.

I was beginning to worry bout how white the perlite is  and all I see in pics you guys send who know what the hell you are doing (lucky duckies) is dark brown bedding with white speckels. Now if I thought I could get away with casing I would probably try it but being my first shot at this I am feeling like I need to stick to the book to succeed.

I'll read up on it but in the meantime if Ya'all think I need to go PF all the way tell me. I'm really no dummy so, but, and, I go beyond limits at times for experimental satisfaction (like jumping out of perfectly good operating airplanes,say halleluja)

So if ya say it is easier and more fruitful to case let me know cuz I want this to work. It's too fascinating to have any problem now.

Thanx dudes.
and yes all I have at this point is the tubs(10 gallon) using aquarium heater. I have two and I could use em both for FC's with glass or plexi tops whichever is better? C'mon back now y'hear.

Baphom3t

Do what feels most comfortable to you but,
you can always keep a couple cakes set aside for casing.
you can buy coco-coir at most pet stores if you want to use that as a casing layer.
I use a 60/40 verm/coir
here is a link to the tek. http://www.shroomery.org/55/60-40-Vermiculite-and-Coco-Coir-Casing-Tek

I nuke my mix for 7-9 mins in a microwavable bowl.The lid must be microwavable also.
Ziplock sells them cheap about anywhere.
after it is nuked,seal the lid right away,let it cool down,I usually make my mix up 24hrs before I goto case.

If you can do PF cakes then you can do casing.
It is more fruitful to case IMO.

If your tubs are clear you can use the lid of those, if not use plexi-glass.
Don't forget to drill holes in all 6 sides of your tub.Do not plug them with poly-fill.
you can see a pic of this type of setup here>>> http://www.shroomery.org/forums/files/07-009/287245516-Terrarium_2a.jpg  (pic taken from a post by RR)

axis

how much $ are you into with the fogger and coolmist?

Baphom3t

I got lucky and got mine for free.

the ultrasonic will set you back at least $40.
the coolmist is around $20

heres a link to the fogger I have.
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4052560