revive substrate with fertilizer?

Started by gorilla, June 28, 2007, 03:46:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gorilla

as far as i know, the number of flushes is limited by the vitality of the growing medium, the mycelium is growing in.when the nutriants are used and gone, the myc. gets nomore support,right? so has anyone of you ever tryed to ad just a little fertilizer into the growing medium after the last flush?
i am no mycologist but i guess if the fertilizer isnt too agressive, the ph and the ballance of nutriants within is right, this might work.
has anyone ever tried this?
if it worked, this would bring a new era of mushroom growing.

wei

That was a question i posed about microniutrens in my post...Out of my experience in growing, you have to be VERY careful not to overdue the fertilizers or you will burn and kill whatever you are growing. The fertilizers are balanced for plants. 1 ounce to much and you can lose everthing in a matter of hours.

To me it would be a very tricky ratio to find for an organism, that is so small compared to a plant, and even with plants you should only do it once a week.

The micronutrients are something that every living thing needs, even humans. The basis for these are not so much (Potassium , Nitrogen, Phosphate) like you see on the side of the fertilizer bag in the form of 7/7/7 or 14/7/14...... but more in the lines of Iron, zinc, Iodine, Vitamin A, /manganese and such. Micro nutrients  help us and other living things process amino acids and maintaining an Oxygen Balance. As my experience in mycology is limited i would like to hear some other opinions myself on this from the others.

WEI