Drying

Started by Baphom3t, July 19, 2007, 12:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baphom3t

I know this is not a new TEK but I have dried mushrooms in various ways.

Now some may say that heat will break down the actives in them but I have figured out a way to do it in the oven.
Turn the oven to its lowest setting.
If you have a meat thermometer toss it in so you can get a idea of the temps your oven will be at.
Leave the oven door open just a bit.
My oven set like this brings a temp of 100-120 farenheit.
Place a wire screen in the oven and put them on the screen.
Check every hour until dry.
With this method they seem to dry in a matter of hours instead of a couple days.

I have not noticed any loss of potency whatsoever,temps any higher will cause actives to break down due to the heat.
At first I was leary to do it,but for the past few days the humidity where I live has been excessive,and this method has turned out to work for me pretty well so far.

I don't think I'll dry them any other way from now on.

Cheers all

Baph

axis

Hay Baph Bro:

Have you eaten those dried in the oven to report the yea or nay of potency?

How bout this: What about drying them in between sheets of a section of newspaper?
I tried it with some good looking shrooms I found in a wooded area near the mountain here and they dried up in a few days. I was going to send pics until I found out I had to join a website which makes me feel vulnerable. but as they dried they dropped spores (I guess( which were brown looking.

that was a Q of mine somewhere in the forum: how to ID Psilly shrooms. I'm leary to munch em, right? they might not be good anyhow they have been in the paper for about a month.

Baphom3t

"Have you eaten those dried in the oven to report the yea or nay of potency?"

Yes I have and I can tell no differance.

psilocybin warrior

Ya ive done it in the oven befor as well, they got a tiny bit burned but they were still good, its the fastest way to dry them i think.

psycho4psilo

Being a nu b to growing my own  - but not to the collecting of the wild magical fruit - i have always used a dehydrator at its very lowest setting , 90 F,  or with heat turned off and air only.  With low heat, it takes only a little over an hr and w/ air only about double that - these were all pretty small fruits tho and wll probably take longer with the big fat 1's I'm hoping to harvest in the very near future.

However, this certainly sounds like a good way if pressed for time, with high humidity and / or if no dh is available.  Will certainly keep in mind for future reference should (lord forbid) anything happen to my dh.

Thx for the post!
Blend and balance
Pain and comfort
Deep within you
Till you will not have me any other way.