Fungifun - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed

Author Topic: paint on pressure cooker rack  (Read 1861 times)

sbsat7

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1
    • View Profile
paint on pressure cooker rack
« on: July 23, 2007, 01:23:50 PM »

I used a pressure cooker to sterilize some mushroom substrate, but now I have some concern that the substrate may contain toxic materials.  I placed the jars on a metal rack in the pressure cooker, and the metal rack had paint on it.  When I opened the pressure cooker (after cooking), there was a bit of a funny smell and the paint on the rack had to some extent melted.  The jars had Tyvek covers, as well as a covering of tin foil.  Is it possible that toxic chemicals could have been released from the paint in the cooking process, and that these chemicals could have somehow made their way around the tin foil and through the Tyvek into the substrate?  Could such chemicals then be absorbed by the mycelium and included in the mushrooms to cause detrimental effects to those who eat the mushrooms?
Logged

anno

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 668
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: paint on pressure cooker rack
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 12:26:14 AM »

I don't think this will be a problem. Even if the vapors should have entered the jar, this would be such a small amount that it won't have any harmful effects, neither to the mycelium nor to you.
Logged