fruiting: some late bloomers?

Started by kotik, June 28, 2004, 02:38:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kotik

OK, my very first attempt.

During the 3rd week of incubation, I lost 1 of the 5 jars to a black/green mold, but the rest have been doing fine.

I am now on the 5th - 6th week, and out of the 4 jars left, only 2 have shown pins.

The first jar had about 3 pins forming, so I birthed it into the fruiting chamber.  2 days later (today)  I saw the second jar with a single bin, although it's pretty big, so I will birth that in the morning.

Anyways, I realize this is all natural, so unpredictable and everything, but I was wondering if they should have all been birthed at the same time, and if the method mentioning putting the cakes in a fridge before birth would be a ghood idea.

otherwise, ill just keep being patient.

anno

>I was wondering if they should have all been birthed at the same time

No, it is not necessary to, you can put them in when they are ready.

>if the method mentioning putting the cakes in a fridge before birth would be a good idea.

I haven't seen any major difference in fruiting if a cake has been in the fridge or not.

kotik

wow, didnt expect such a quick reply.  What I did was put one jar in the fridge, and I'll give the other one some more time.

I did see one coincidence though, whatever jars are in the corner show growth first.

For instance, one of the 4 jars was in the corner.  The side of the jar that was actually in the corner formed 2 pins.  I am guessing that although the room was dark, that part was even darker (in the corner, full of shadows) was helping it along.

Unfortunatly, I think my timing may be off, I am leaving in 5 days, I will be gone for 10.

If I am just putting them all in the fruting chamber now, they will be ready when I have to leave, and no one will be here to keep the flushes going.

Argh...

anno

>If I am just putting them all in the fruting chamber now, they will be ready when I have to leave

Well, then you better do put them in the fridge to prevent them from fruiting until you are back.

psilly

Hey Anno,

When do you recommend birthing cakes?  I've got a couple that are slow starters, not really approaching full colonization, but on Saturday they'll be entering week four in the incubator...   Seems like there hasn't neem much new growth in a week or two, the insides of both jars are about 25% white.  Do you usually wait it out, no matter how long it takes, or do you ever reach a point where 'enough is enough?'  Also, is there a concern that the cakes' food pr water supplies (I used standard PF, RBF/verm mix) might be depleted if I wait too long? :unsure:

I think the problem with this batch is that I used a finer grade vermiculite, which has since compacted in the jars and isn't allowing sufficient aeration.  I've heard of people putting coffee beans in the jars to keep air pockets in the vermiculite mix.  Any thoughts on this also? :huh:

Thanks!  Great forum.

psilly

neem = been
pr = or

Think my fingers need typing lessons!