How bout now? Pics. Updated

Started by axis, July 27, 2007, 04:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

axis

Ok ya'all, is these cakes doing what they are supposed to be doing? the white fuzzy stuff and all?

replies appreciated

anno

axis

Baphom3t

Baphom3t

Grains dont take as long .
A 1 quart jar can fully colonize in 3-4 weeks maybe sooner if everything is optimal
And you will have bigger yeilds with grains/casings like Weat,Rye,WBS,etc.

so far it looks good.
Just keep up FAE,and mist normally.
What is your RH?

axis

I don't know what the exact RH is for sure, I calibrated it. One batch is in a tub with holes, per video and if the hygrometer is correct, humidity goes lower to @ 80-85 (?) than if I have plastic wrap around the sides covering some of the holes. that takes it up to 90 RH or so. Up and down so I taped a lot of the holes.

another batch is in a plain dark tub with saran cover. these cakes are fuzzing faster and whiter but I need to fan it out. the room is at @ 78-80 degrees and I have a c-5 clear night light bulb about 3 feet above both tubs for several hours per day.

Not much progress than seen in the pics I sent with "How bout now pics" earlier in the forum.in the clear tub and the fuzz is not looking so white now. some perfectly round little tiny water drops are stuck to the side of at least one cake.

Baphom3t

Your RH is to low
you need to bring the RH to about 99%
You can take some clear tape and tape some of the holes up until you can reach that RH.

FAE = Fresh Air Exchange.
It is the same as fanning it.
Try to do that at least 3-5 times a day then lightly mist the sides of the tub to bring the RH back up after fanning it.
what size are the holes in the tub?
They should be a 1/4"

axis

Yes, I am covering up some of the holes with wrapped saran wrap (half width) around the sides.

The holes are 1/4 or 5/16, but there is a helluva lot of em in sides, top and bottom.

How bout the light? C-5 clear the size of exterior christmas light bulbs, night lite etc. Should it be a grow or blue light better?

Can the cakes be too wet? 100% is just that,,, wet.

let me know and I'll adjust.

thanx, "power to the TEK"

Baphom3t

Just use regular light.
No need for all the colored lights.
I dont even use any lights anymore.
I just let the ambient sun light do the work for me :D

Cakes should be as close to 100% as you can get.
The only time to back off on that is when the cakes look to wet.

axis

dude, the light is a clear one, not very bright. same size as the ones in a string of Christmas lights, only one because the tubs are in the basement, no other light is available, like sunlight.

If I move em upstairs there will be daylight for most of the day. Is that not too much light? 

also it looks like the mycellium is dying or loosing it's whiteness on the cakes in the tub with holes TEK. When to initiate pinning?

psilocybin warrior

Maybe you should dunk it before you try and fruit it again.  I dont think those lights are bright enough but if you keep it in direct sunlight it will dry out the cake.  But they only need 6 hours but more wont hurt it.

axis

Warrior dude,
they won't fruit a first time, taking a long time. so dunking now will ruin them?
they puffed up quite quickly(within one week). now seems as if they have stopped or just going way slow (three weeks now an all are not fully fuzzed). I keep reading over my info, not finding out what I need to be doing.
not much activity.

I'm using the energy saving 13w =60w fluorescent bulbs. with my work schedule and all I leave it on for several hours either day or night. I fan two to three times per day.

does light and fanning need to be consistent or on a schedule?( the same time each day or night)?

thanx for the input

Baphom3t

How long have they been in the FC?
If the 1st post in this thread is when they were first put there then have a little more paitence.
It can take 2 weeks before you can see pins.
After this 2 week mark you still see no pins, Do a good 24hr dunk.

If the Myc is still looking dry you need to cover more holes.
Do you know for sure what the RH in your FC is? If not then that could be part of the problem.
That is very important.

Was yours the PF classic?
I've read in multiple places of it's slowness.
Try to get the imageshack thing figured out and add some pics,and I'm sure you will get this work out.

psilocybin warrior

hmm i had the same problem, its been a while and i still have no pins i took the cake out today and looked at it and its starting to grow mold or somthing so im gunna do a bleach dunk and hope that helps.

axis

Ok dudes a few pics, looks like they've been thru world war 3, been a trial from hell for this boy I tell ya. Mite as well have been brewin up a human body instead.

anyway, I am getting a couple of pins from a couple of the cakes but others are lookin blue or like the myc is deflated or humidity drops etc.

hav a look let me know
please look em over thoroughly before damning me. that blue has been with those cakes for a long time. I don't know what that slimey stuff is.
thanx

Baphom3t

The bluing is common
The cake in the 3rd pick has trich get it out of the FC.

axis

Baph, thanx for the insight.

what about the slimey brown things hanging off the one in the first pic. I thought mabey it was pins gone rotten or mabey MYC that got wet and funky.

axis

its been damned near a month now in the fc

psilocybin warrior

How much fresh air/ Light are they getting?

axis

they're not getting a lot of fresh air (how?) since one tub is sealed and the other with holes. the light is indirect sunlight from about 1-2pm to days end around 7-8pm now days. and I have been fanning both.

been gone for few days, had someone who doesn't know anything but what I have told doing the fanning and misting a couple of cakes don't look too good. (see below)

the temps here have been near 100* and the tubs are in a room and not much air circulation. a window is open several inches.

any precautions to handling mold???

some activity(slow) but green

no activity yet and green or blue

what the heck is this?