Rule of Thumb??

Started by psycho4psilo, August 03, 2007, 02:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

psycho4psilo

Helluva time now to ask this question seeing as tho I have hundreds of pins that just began to show their heads (waiting to post pix 'til I see more than just pins).  But as I am getting ready to prepare another mini - bulk tub and some wbs trays as well, thought I might get some clarification.

Is there a rule of thumb for distance from top of medium to top of container? i.e. in a straw / manure bulk  tub or a type of tray (height for clearnces not withstanding)?  Did I read somewhere that gases will collect near the top of the medium and if it is a lot lower than the top of its' container that the gases can "smother" the myc even IF fae is done 3 or more times a day?   Should height be kept to minmum when possible?

Thx!

p4p

Blend and balance
Pain and comfort
Deep within you
Till you will not have me any other way.

Wormy

I keep thinking of the grows I have seen where they just fill the bottom of a large tub and use the tub as a terrarium. Those seemed to go well, the ones I seen pics of, and those were probably like a foot down from the top.
Wormy

"There's a Hair in my Dirt!"

psycho4psilo

Thx wormy.

Ya know, I never could find a tek that took you from beginning to end when using straw / manure.  Oh yes I know, there are many teks out there that cover a WIDE variety - but nothing I could find that started you off from square 1 and took you all the way through fruiting and covered all stages / steps / procedures as like the brf cakes do.  Even "Old Timers" tek left alot to be guessed at.  I'm pretty sure it's because the brf tek is supposed to be simplier for nu b's and you're supposed to have more knowledge before stepping up to a bulk type tek.  (Personally, I thought brf cakes were more complicated than a grain spawn and I failed miserably at my first attempt of cakes.)

But with wbs spawn, Baphdude and Anno helped me out greatly and  Silly Warrior  ^_^ chimed in as well with assistance.  If my "tub" does produce, it'll be because of these guys and their help and guidance!

Maybe I'm just getting paranoid again when I'm EVER so close and come to think of it, I guess you're right.  Thinking back, most the bulk tubs did show large areas of pace between casing and rim of tub. 

Thx again for your input!
Blend and balance
Pain and comfort
Deep within you

Wormy

I have that RR DVD set, and there is a ton of step-by-steps covering straw, poo, cakes, casing, etc. I think you would like it. But nothing is better than researching and going through the teks online, it just can be confusing at times weeding through all the different styles.
Wormy

"There's a Hair in my Dirt!"

psycho4psilo

Can ya burn a copy of the discs?  LOL!!

Yes sir, I watched part of it just yesterday, while tryin' to find info on Martha's closet, from their site.  It does appear to be very infromative and maybe covers a hell of a lot of different teks, methods, etc.

I just had my very first harvest!!  ^_^  ^_^  First flush wasn't all that big, 104.3 grms, but it was only  from a tray with about 2/3 of pint of wbs I had left over from spawning my bulk.  I thot I'd try a tray and see what I could learn and basically used the 60,30,10 tek anno sent me a link for.  Even tho it was for pf cakes by golly it worked very well.  I truly don't expect very many flushes from as there was so little grain to begin with, but time will tell.

Ltr,
p4p
Blend and balance
Pain and comfort
Deep within you