Newbie Question - B+ In Mycobag

Started by sozu, June 21, 2007, 03:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sozu

WooHoo!

Its been around one month, but I finally have some Mycelium growth. Thought that i had blown it for a while, but all seems to coming along nicely now.

A big thank you to psilocybin warrior & Baph for your input.

I'll keep you posted of any further developments.

sozu

OK, just so I'm ready for when the colonisation is complete (although I know it likely to be at least 3 weeks before I can progress), I would like to explain what my plan of action is. This way at least people can stop me before I do something silly - lol.

I am about to prepare the fruiting chamber, so that will be ready in time. The box I'm using is only 10 inches high (hope thats enough).

A. Wait for colonisation to complete.
B. Wait a further 4 to 6 days to allow for consolidation.
C. Cut the Mycobag, so there is only an inch left above the substrate.
D. Apply a layer of pasteurised Vermiculite (pre-soaked and drained) to the substrate.
E. Place in fruiting chamber on a layer of (pre-soaked and drained) perlite, ensuring it does not touch the perlite.
F. Place the fruiting chamber on the floor where it will receive indirect sunlight & monitor temps & humidity.
G. Mist twice per day and fan chamber to expel CO2.

So any comments on the above would be most welcome, please may I also ask the following questions.

1. Is a height of 10 inches enough for the fruiting chamber?

2. At what point should I breakup the mycelium in the bag, or should i bother with this?

3. I assume the substrate should be left in the mycobag after colonisation? or can it be completely removed in order to fully case?

4. How thick should my casing layer be?

Sorry for the babble, as ever any help would be very welcome.

Thanks....

Baphom3t

10 inches may not be big enough.
I've had mushies get 10 inches tall before.
B+ can have some big fruits.

If it's staying in the mycobag you can place it directly on the perlite.

How often have you broke up the Myc in the bag?

3. Do you mean transfering the sub to another container? i.e tray,tupperware
If it's a 3lb bag it will fill up 1, 2 quart tray. But you can fruit it from the bag.

Casing layer should be around  1/4 inch no more than 1/2
1/4 inch is about how thick I make mine.

sozu

Thanks Baph, I'll get a bigger box for the FC.

I'll leave the substrate in the Mycobag while fruiting (if you think that as good). I'll place the bag directly onto the perlite.

I haven't broken up the Myc at all so far, but there is only about 1 inch square (from what I can tell) of Mycelium growth so far.

Thanks again...

sozu

OK, I have a much larger Fruiting Chamber now. I've also decided to change my plan slightly. Any advise just before I go ahead would be much appreciated.

I have a grain Mycobag that is full colonised. I plan to breakup the mycelium and place in a tray (possibly two trays depending on how deep it is). I was then planning to case the mycelium with 1/4 inch of vermiculite (although I could mix the verm with something else, if somebody could please advise).

After reading a little, it seems that I should then place back in dark incubation (at 27C) until I see the mycelium starting to appear (a little) through the casing.

My final step would then be to place in the Fruiting Chamber.

If anybody sees any problems with this, please let me know before I do something silly ;0)

Many Thanks,
Sozu