Air filtration idea(question)

Started by Psilocybe Cube, August 04, 2007, 06:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psilocybe Cube

so, this is my first post and i guess thats kind of cool.  :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: and so is this smile face. But so, ive thought of this way to filter the air for my grow chamber. I was thinking i could use a fish tank air pump to pump air through a jar of hydrogen peroxide. I think that the fact that it is peroxide will kill any bacteria, and that the liquid will catch and kill any foreign mold spores. Im thinking the hydrogen peroxide wont harm the mushrooms because i once read this on the internet > http://www.mycomasters.com/ It basically describes a method of growing edible (not   the good kind...) mushrooms in an open jar using hydrogen peroxide in the substrate which grows nice healthy mushrooms. So theres my idea, and heres my questions. Is the hydrogen peroxide going to fill that air of my air tight(sept a breathing hole stuffed with cotton on the bottem side for CO2 ) container with deadly gas killing my magic fungus? And, is this even going to work?

psycho4psilo

I've read of that which you speak from the website, but am not real knowledgable in the applications of using h202.  However, the way I understand it's usage, the h202 is used to sterlize BEFORE spawning, inoculating, etc...  If not properly diluted, it will kill and bacteria or fungus that maybe present - including myc. 

I can not give a definitive answer to your question as I justed started growing myself, but here's a link that discusses this subject and humidifiers.

http://www.shroomery.org/9136/Humidifying-FAQ 
Blend and balance
Pain and comfort
Deep within you
Till you will not have me any other way.

Psilocybe Cube

If what your saying is true about the hydrogen peroxide is true, then i should change my question. What can i use to sanitize the air from my air pump?the brand is an elite 802 20 gallon air pump from pets mart. The air absolutely needs to be sanitized, the mushrooms are being grown in this storage space through a small door in my wall. The air is full of dust, the whole thing is basically covered in dust and disgust really.

psycho4psilo

Refer to previous link in post.  I think you'll find answers to most of your questions there, such as pump (bubbler) sizing, humidificaction teks, sterlization / sanitation with h2o2 and other suggestions such as iodine.

peace out,
p4p
Blend and balance
Pain and comfort
Deep within you

Baphom3t

I my self have not tried this I prefer to be sterile as possible.
If you are using spores it will not work.
If you are using LC it will work if done properly.

I have seen alot of debate on this subject.

BUT,

if you are talking about running H202 in with your FAE it is not necessary.
And can slow down the Myc growth.
I only use H202 when it comes to cobweb.

I have read some posts where Anno has used LC/ peroxide on agar and has no probs.
But I think that you are refering to using it along with your FAE.
:)

p.s.
Welcome to the forums.

psycho4psilo

I've read some about h2o2 and how one guy (who's tryin' to sell his book) says he doesn't sterilize anything, doesn't worry about contams.  So, I'm trying an experiment to see if there's anything to it.

I had a jar of wbs w/ about 3 TBLS of colonized wbs in fridge trying to suspend for future spawning.  When I took it out the other day, it had some green mold on it.  Before I thru it out, I sprayed w/ 10 parts h2o2 in 90 parts h20.  I got it wet and all the myc and mold just kinda melted away.  I covered jar w/foil and put in total darkness (on the opposite side of the house).  I checked this morning and the myc was re-generating w/ no signs of mold - yet.  Still too early to tell, but am curious to see what transpires.
Blend and balance
Pain and comfort
Deep within you

Psilocybe Cube

Baph, my question now is how can i filter the air im pumping in. Psycho4psilo, thats cool, but i still wouldn't eat those.