fruiting temps

Started by cricks, September 01, 2007, 11:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cricks

hey guys my jars are about 90% colonized. the temps have been in the mid to high 80s. will my mushies fruit with these temps? whats the hottest it can get?

psycho4psilo

Not real familiar with cakes, but I believe 80F is about the highest you'd wanna try to fruit at.  Here's ya some info on cakes.
This is from the "Simple Cubensis Growing Technique" and following is link to site.

Hope this helps.

p4p

Inducing Fruiting (Producing Mushrooms)
In order to initiate fruiting, three main conditions must be met for the cakes:

First, they need light. Only a dim light is needed. A fluorescent lamp or indirect sunlight is plenty of light. Mushrooms do not gain energy from the light like plants do, but in this particular species of mushroom light sends a signal to the mycelium that it is time to produce mushrooms. A source with a wide spectrum of light, especially containing lots of blue light (daylight and fluorescent plant lights are very good examples of light with lots of blue) is best, but a low wattage (15 watts is plenty) incandescent light bulb will supply enough light.

Second, they need a fairly high humidity. 90-95% humidity is a good range for fruiting. The best and easiest way to do this is by lining the bottom of the fruiting chamber with damp perlite. A common mistake is to get the perlite too wet, and end up with a swamp of water and perlite that is very difficult to clean up, and will drown the cakes. Get enough perlite to make at least 1" (2.5 cm) thick layer on the bottom of the fruiting chamber, and put it into a colander, strainer, or cloth enclosure that it can%u2019t slip out of. Wet it thoroughly with normal tap water, and let the water drain out. Then move the perlite into the fruiting chamber and smooth out the surface. You now have a layer of damp perlite that the cakes can be set directly on, and which will keep the humidity in the chamber high enough for the cakes to fruit. By the time your cakes have stopped producing mushrooms, the perlite might start getting a little bit skunky smelling. If you want to reuse it, put it in a baking pan and cook it at 350 degrees in your oven until it is dry. Let it cool, and it%u2019s ready to be used again. You can also add some Hydrogen Peroxide to the wet perlite to help it stay clean a bit longer.

Lastly, it is a good idea to lower the temperature range a bit, to about 75-80 degrees F. Like the light, this signals the cakes to begin fruiting. However, most strains of Psilocybe cubensis fruit so easily that lowering the temperature is not absolutely necessary.

http://www.shroomery.org/8410/Simple-Cubensis-Growing-Technique
Blend and balance
Pain and comfort
Deep within you
Till you will not have me any other way.