amount of water for grains

Started by Trips509, September 25, 2007, 06:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trips509

so i made a batch of jars with grains. i innoculated about a week ago and i just checked on them today. only 2 of 6 jars show just the tinniest bit of growth. they grains look kind of dry. this is my first time doing grains and i used the grains for simple minds tek. i choose to simmer them before pressure cooking. my question is, if the grains didn't have enough water before i PC'd them, will they just take longer to colonize or not colonize at all? thanks for any responses

Baphom3t

a pic would be helpful in determining if the grains are to dry.
if they are not excessivly dry they will still colonize but at a much slower rate

psycho4psilo

Are you doing WBS or Rye?  A lot will have to do with how aggressive the strain is as well.   I've had pints colonize in a week or less and at the same time, same batch of WBS but innoc'd with diff strain, take up to two weeks to colonize.  If using WBS, I personally like Doc's WBS Tek that can be found here -  http://www.shroomery.org/9030/Docs-Wild-Bird-Seed-Tek   But by no means is this the only tek or the best tek, only the tek that I found works best for me and leaves little question as to correct water content.  I've always had great success with this tek and it has never failed - until recently when I switched brands of seed.  I either simmered too long or did not drain well enough. Well, that probably was not much help, but good luck in your endeavors~!

p4p
Blend and balance
Pain and comfort
Deep within you
Till you will not have me any other way.

Trips509

I an using rye for the substrate and ecuador and guadalajara strains. Also all of the jars now show some growth, I guess I was just being impationt. thanks for the help though

kenshin911

Hey lemme know how the Guadalajara's turn out, I'm thinking of getting them myself.

Thanks.