mushrooms and substrate

Started by mushysan, June 19, 2004, 02:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mushysan

High to all you growers outhere!

I have a situation - mushrooms won't fruit all over the surface of the substrate, but are somehow scattered , growing single all over the place. I saw pictures where mushrooms are fruiting in such abundance so close together in clusters that substrate is almost not visible. What do you think is the reason for my lack of flushes? I thought maybe the depth of substrate -compost made of straw and dung, which is aprox. 3" deep? Is it not deep enough, so the mushrooms haven't got enough sources to grow in larger quantity?  

Please help me out here. Thx!
Mushysan

anno

3 inches is not very much, but it is not too little neither. The number of fruits depends on the pinset, the relative size is a function of the amount of the substrate.
With dung and straw  substrates mushrooms usually don't fruit as dense as with rye grain or millet.

mushysan

hey,

You know, it's strange that there are hundreds of miniature mushrooms, aborts one, only few mm "big", in fact so small that they can't even be picked up, but those normal mushrooms only about 20 on the surface of 80x50 square cm.  Substrate is compost made of dung and straw, 2-3 inches deep, humidity is high-around 90% and temps 22-23 Celzius.

Do you have any idea what's the reason for my poor flushes?

Your suggestion of rye substrate is hard to carry out because it's difficult to sterilize such big amounts of rye in relation to straw and dung, which is easy to pasterize in large amounts.

So, Is there any substance that can be added to the compost to enrich the flushes?

I will also try 50/50 peat/verm casing with grounded limestone, since until now I have substituted the casing with pure dung. I will try this alternative and see if the flushes get bigger.

If you have any idea or solution for my problem, please!  
Mushysan

mushman

flushes arent always determined by your substrate but also by strain and you incubation period