So it begins

Started by brianjamez, July 22, 2004, 10:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianjamez

10 jars currently PCing happily at 15 psi using the simple mind tek.  We'll see what happens I guess?  I'll keep a log on here in case any problems (and I expect they will) come up.

anno

OK, good luck (or should I say "happy grow" ;) )

brianjamez

Thanks!
I just got home from work -- jars are all still suprisingly a little warm sitting in the PCer...Guess I'll wait until the AM tomorrow to noc em up.

brianjamez

White fuzzies are appearing in 9 out of 10 jars!!!!

brianjamez

All this goodness has motivated me to do up another 10 jars.
Do any of you know when a good time is to start looking out for contams?
Also...I was unable to obtain tapered 1/2 pint jars -- is this going to cause any major issues when I need to remove the cakes?

anno

>Do any of you know when a good time is to start looking out for contams?
Anytime.

Read the shroomery FAQ for possible contaminats:
http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/3344

>I was unable to obtain tapered 1/2 pint jars -- is this going to cause any major
>issues when I need to remove the cakes?

If they have a shoulder, then you won't be able to slide them out. In thic case you will have to spoon the colonized substrate out and case it.

http://www.shroomery.org/casing

brianjamez

anno

Then you might be able to let them slide out of the jar.

brianjamez

I can't believe I haven't had any sign of contaminants yet.  Most of the jars are solid white.  The patterns are actualy very beautiful in a way.  Looking forward to fruiting!
The 2nd round of 10 jars I prepared is coming along much more rapidly than the first.  I used a 1/2 cup more water in that batch...so that may be helping accelerate growth.
...more to come...hopefully some pictures

brianjamez

A couple of quick questions here:

1.  Should I be concerned with condensation build up on the inside walls of my jars?
2.  Is there any special sterilization procedure for fruiting chambers?  Or do they just have to be generaly clean...

THANKS!

JaRRn

QuoteA couple of quick questions here:

1.  Should I be concerned with condensation build up on the inside walls of my jars?
2.  Is there any special sterilization procedure for fruiting chambers?  Or do they just have to be generaly clean...

THANKS!
[snapback]326[/snapback]

1. No
2. I just wipe the FC with a bleach solution 1:200 and with the perlite (if ur using perlite) 1:200 solution in the water and misting bottle as well.

I was to lazy to go and buy h202 lol

So far I havent had a problem at all with bleach!

hope this helps

Ooisi

im guessing their cubies, so what strain :) ?
did you inoculate with syringe or did you use a agar wedge?
if syringe, howd you make it?

brianjamez

B+ -- any experience with them?
I used syringes.

I have 10 in one chamber now -- about 6 pins emerging!

psilly

Quotehttp://www.shroomery.org/casing
[snapback]315[/snapback]

I've been reading some of the Teks on this site, and it's got me wondering...  How much does casing-- as opposed to just putting the cake into a fruiting chamber-- increase your yield?  10%?  25%?  Just trying to figure out if this is something I should be doing.

Thanks all!

anno

It can increase the yields due to the better water supply. But how much is hard to say.

psilly

Since I'm in the happy position of having more mushrooms than I really need, I'm not sure if the extra effort would even be worth my while.

On the other hand, casing doesn't seem like THAT MUCH extra effort.

Do you think casing makes a difference in contam rates?

brianjamez

Im thinking about doing a casing method next -- hey anno -- can you recommend a casing tek for cambodians?