rye grain prepeation

Started by Skavenger55, February 22, 2008, 03:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skavenger55

how much water needs to go into the jars with the grain?
i know it is 1 cup grain but how much water do you need?

Skavenger55

that is for a pint jar i thought you said quart jars were the way to go

i can use pint though right

Trips509

2 pints equal one quart, just do the math.
And I guess you can do grains in pints jars, but think about it. To innoculate TWO pint jars of grains you are gonna use twice the amount of spore solution as it would take to innoculate ONE quart jar of grains, and get the same amount of colonized grains in the end.
With grains when you are ready to fruit, you have to use a casing layer or use them to spawn a bulk substrate. You can't just fruit them like you would a BRF cake.

anno

Quote from: Trips509 on February 25, 2008, 10:09:41 AM
2 pints equal one quart, just do the math.

Exactly, or as the above link says "For a quart jar, double the amounts."

dumbfounded1600

I wouldn't recommend that method as look how sticky the starches of the grain made it. Best to soak for 24 hours. Boil for 5-10 min NO LONGER. The excess steam will evaporate all the moisture off the rye berries. PC and their will be no sticking. Wait till they cool to room temperature. Make sure you know how to pressure cook lolololol. Anno I Love You. You've made mycologists mycologists. One of them is agar and i'm now reading through his posts. He praises you like a god.

anno

Quote from: dumbfounded1600 on February 29, 2008, 10:15:52 AM
I wouldn't recommend that method as look how sticky the starches of the grain made it. Best to soak for 24 hours. Boil for 5-10 min NO LONGER. The excess steam will evaporate all the moisture off the rye berries. PC and their will be no sticking. Wait till they cool to room temperature. Make sure you know how to pressure cook lolololol. Anno I Love You. You've made mycologists mycologists. One of them is agar and i'm now reading through his posts. He praises you like a god.

I am far from this status, BUT: The method I decribe WORKS. The grain is not sticky. Try it before dismissing it.