casing and perlite

Started by mushysan, August 08, 2004, 07:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mushysan

Hi there!

Is it O.k. if I pasterize my casing soil (50/50 : peat/vermiculite+CaCO2) in hot water for 1 hour and then let it drain overnight? Or should i sterilize it in PC - though it's very hard for me to do this with larger amounts of it?

And those few days after casing is applied, when waiting for the micelium to break through the surface, is there any fanning necessery, or none allowed?

I have read some cautions and bad critics about perlite, what's the problem? I have this big box covered with plastic in which i intend to put plastic trays with compost. I thought to put the perlite on the bottom of this box to achieve humidity. What i don't know is how much perlite should i apply and how much water to add? And what about contamination issue with perlite?

tnx very much for your effort to answering my questions! nice shroom greeting!

MushySan
Mushysan

anno

>Is it O.k. if I pasterize my casing soil (50/50 : peat/vermiculite+CaCO2) in hot water for 1 hour and then let it drain overnight?

It will be too wet if done this way.

>Or should i sterilize it in PC - though it's very hard for me to do this with larger amounts of it?

What about a microwave for 10 minutes?

>And those few days after casing is applied, when waiting for the micelium to break through the surface, is there any fanning necessery,
>or none allowed?

None allowed.

> how much perlite should i apply and how much water to add?
One inch.
Dunk the perlite in water, strain it for a minute, and put in the fruiting chamber.