green=bad

Started by MushShrooms, April 03, 2008, 02:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MushShrooms

one of our cakes has some green on the top ... i know that is bad... but my question is can we keep the ones that don't have any green on them... or should we just throw away the hole cake... also we have 2 other cakes in there and more coming... will this infect the rest?
will it infect the hole container???

anno

Dump the contaminated ones, keep the healthy ones.

MushShrooms

dump the cakes or the actually mushrooms? just wanna make sure sorry

anno

Well, the mushrooms could potentially suck up substances from the mold which could be harmful. So to be sure, you would have to dump the mushrooms from contaminated cakes too.

MushShrooms

thanks for your help we found another contaminated cake is there anything specifically that causes the bad green?

anno

In most cases the mold comes ion during the inoculation, or during incubation.
Are you sure the spore syringe is really clean? How are you performing the inoculation? Do you sanitize the needle before inoculation?

MushShrooms

yes but i remember that we burned it and got it glowing red hot for the first two cakes (which are the ones that are "contaminated") and the rest we didn't... which we should have i know.... but i read something about if you get a paper towel and rub it softly on it and nothing comes off then it is just bruised which would make sense because we do move them alot and they arne't stable in their "cage" . we rubbed it and nothing came off.... but NOW there is a not really a cap cause it's not completely off but basically the cap(lol) on a growing one is completely black.... which still leaves me to believe cause we haven't touched the freaken thing.... but then again it might have just been hit... it's all questionable   

also if one is growing towards the side.... will it move itself up once it hits the side or just stop growing

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP ^_^