Grow bag FIRST TIME . HELP!!!

Started by muffinman, April 13, 2008, 05:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muffinman

Hi this is my first attempt to grow. I went with a 3 LB. Rye bag that i bought online and a syringe of B+. I innoculated with 4 mL. I then more or less shooked up the contents to mix the spores around. The bag is incubating in a rubbermaid container which is kept at 80 degrees with an aquarium heater. After 5 days growth appeared in several areas. Its been another six days since then and the growth does not appear to be spreading. How long is the normal time for a 3Lb bag take to colonize after initail mycelium growth? there are 3 areas of growth, 2 the size of a pencil eraser and on the size af about a dime. Does taking the bag out of the rubbermaid container and into the light to check it have any negative effects? any help will be greatly appreciated.

Baphom3t

I think you are meaning 4cc's.
That's alot for a grow bag.I used at most 2cc's.
Bags don't need to be done like your doing.
Take that bag out of the tub.
The bags create there own enviornment.
Bags don't need to be incubated.
As the Myc spreads,it creates heat,so it is it's own enviornment.

3lb bags of rye can take upto 6 weeks to fully colonize.
Light don't effect the Myc until 100% colonization.
Hope that helps :)

Baph

ChemicalTribe

Baph is correct! Patience is the key, it will grow the way you have it. Keep it out of the light, light only tells it to start growing the mushroom, your not at that stage yet. Let the bag turn at least 75 percent white before you think about pinning it.

muffinman

Is it ok if it has kind of a funky smell to it? kinda smells like shoes that have been wet for a while.

Baphom3t

Funky smell = bad

If it has a smell like funky shoes, that don't sound good.
If anything you should smell a slight mushroom smell through the filter patch.
I'd keep my eye on it.
It almost sounds like you have a bacterial issue.
If the smell gets worse,it is no good.

Baph

muffinman

Yeah pretty sure i lost it to bacteria. The rye berries started to turn to mush, no more mycelium growth, and it started to smell worse (think dead animal). That sucks, what a way to start out. Anyways do you guys recommend sterilizing the syringe with alcohol or heat? Ive seen videos show it both way. I want to try eveything i can next time to avoid this. Thanx for the help baph, and chemicaltribe.

Baphom3t

"Anyways do you guys recommend sterilizing the syringe with alcohol or heat?"

I use both.
Even when innocing a bag take it to a small room and spray lysol in it.
Stuff the door at the bottom and wait 10 - 15 mins.
Slowly move the the stuff from the door,open it slowly.
Make sure you have a shower cap and face mask on before opening the door back up.
Once inside the small room stuff the door at the bottom again.
Spray a little more lysol.
Now clean your work area with alcohol.
Put on latex gloves and rub alcohol on them and your arms upto about the elbow.
Swab the injection port of the bag with alcohol.
Steralize the needle and by then your workarea is ready to go.
Innoculate the bag(s).
I do it the same way every time with jars or bags.  -_-

Baph