the realm of light

Started by fungi, September 13, 2004, 09:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fungi

Just of question for the final phase of the incubation process.
How long (how many days) do jars need to be placed in indirect light in order for pinheads to start forming? I have some fully colonized Equador strain cakes(still in the jars) that were recently transfered from complete darkness, and now have been sitting in a well lit room for a week, and still no pin heads. In fact the mycelial growth appears to have slowed. Is there a reason for this?

Should I try cold shocking to get pinheads to form? What is the best way to do this?  24 hrs in the fridge?, in a cooler with an ice pack..Etc?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Fungi

psilly

QuoteHow long (how many days) do jars need to be placed in indirect light in order for pinheads to start forming? I have some fully colonized Equador strain cakes(still in the jars) that were recently transfered from complete darkness, and now have been sitting in a well lit room for a week, and still no pin heads.
[snapback]372[/snapback]

It can take two weeks for your cakes to pin.  Be patient.  I'd double-check your grow conditions if you're really concerned.  A few degrees in temperature can really make all the difference.

Why are your cakes still in the jar?  If you're not planning on growing in-vitro, I'd birth those puppies!

QuoteIn fact the mycelial growth appears to have slowed. Is there a reason for this?.
[snapback]372[/snapback]

When you pulled your cakes from the incubator, you put them under the impression that the seasons were changing.  Like a lot of other living creatures, they take their queues from the surrounding environment.  In anticipation of this impending change, they've gone from *COLONIZATION* mode to *FRUITING* mode.  You would expect mycelial growth to slow if the jars have been moved into indirect light and are being kept at room temp.

QuoteShould I try cold shocking to get pinheads to form? What is the best way to do this?  24 hrs in the fridge?, in a cooler with an ice pack..Etc?
[snapback]372[/snapback]

I wouldn't cold shock now, if they've been in sunlight for a week now and mycelial growth has slowed.  I'd give serious consideration to birthing or casing the cakes.

When I cold shock, I place the jars on a plastic tray, seal the whole tray in a trash bag, and put them in the fridge for 4-6 hours.  I know a lot of people say to shock them overnight, but I had a problem with condensation when I did this.  4-6 hours seems to be enough to completely stop colonization.

QuoteAny suggestions are welcome.
[snapback]372[/snapback]

I'm a relative newbie myself, message boards like this have been a lifesaver.