USING WHOLE RUBBERMAID BIN AS CASING

Started by JWVOLCOM, September 06, 2004, 10:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JWVOLCOM

I Have been reading about casing and was wondering if I thoroughly cleaned my rubbermaid bin, if I could use it as one big casing to use more volume. My question is would I put my cultured substrate down and cover with pressure cooked substrate down like normal, or would it be wise to throw down some pressure cooked substrate first, then cultured substrate,then a top casing layer. Or maybe another soil would work best to put down first since it would directly touch the bin.
                                                 Thank You For Your Time
                                                  A Fellow Herbalist

anno

You would put COLONIZED substrate at the bottom around 2 inch  thick and then 1/2 inch of casing atop of that.

aje

Randolph Carter

QuoteI Have been reading about casing and was wondering if I thoroughly cleaned my rubbermaid bin, if I could use it as one big casing to use more volume. My question is would I put my cultured substrate down and cover with pressure cooked substrate down like normal, or would it be wise to throw down some pressure cooked substrate first, then cultured substrate,then a top casing layer. Or maybe another soil would work best to put down first since it would directly touch the bin.
                                                  Thank You For Your Time
                                                   A Fellow Herbalist
[snapback]359[/snapback]

I've done this before......it's actually remarkably effective, altho you have to be careful about cleaning the bin if it's been used for anything before.  A 20 min bleach soak followed by a dilute h2o2 rinse works pretty well for me.

Good luck!