What is a flowhood used for

Started by drunkendeath, September 07, 2004, 10:18:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkendeath

I was wondering about the flow hood i have been printing up a lot of info about how to do this stuff and i dont know what the flow hood is for. if any one would post here and tell my. thanks

anno

A flowhood is used for doing sterile(=contamination free) transfers in mushroom cultivation.

vapourboy

QuoteI was wondering about the flow hood i have been printing up a lot of info about how to do this stuff and i dont know what the flow hood is for. if any one would post here and tell my. thanks
[snapback]360[/snapback]

Ultimately, a flow hood is optional but desirable. It maintains a small environment with a reduced contamination presence. A good flow hood is 99.997% efficient, meaning that virtually all airborne contaminants within the area of influence by the flow hood (usually a couple cubic feet) are eliminated while the hood is active.

Check into glove box teks, they are much more economical and about as effective.

drunkendeath

should i let the flow hood run for a little while in the room before i work in it at all that way the air is sterile

anno

>that way the air is sterile

The air in the room will never be sterile, since you are mixing the clean air coming from the flowhood with the (dirty) air already there, which is not sterile.
Only the area in front of the flowhood in the air stream  is where the air is sterile(well, at least very, very, very clean)

samus1977

;) has any of u guys ever heard about ozone geneartors, if u run that for a couple of minutes it can sterilize a room of all contaminants. also how often do u ventilate the terrarium??

iam very new to this field and  iam trying to design my own terrarium

xburn

you should let it run a little to purge the contamintantes currently on the filter from just sitting there 10 to 125 is what i usually do