Pressure cooker / pfjar

Started by poxin, September 11, 2004, 01:34:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poxin

This is my first time trying to grow these. (probably obvious) but after I cooked them for 45 minutes, I forgot to remember to wipe the vermiculite particles off the inside of the jar before putting the dry verm ontop. How crucial is this step? Also after pressure cooking, I'm assuming condensation on the inside of the jar is normal?

psilly

QuoteAfter I cooked them for 45 minutes, I forgot to remember to wipe the vermiculite particles off the inside of the jar before putting the dry verm ontop. How crucial is this step?

It's important, since having RBF/vermiculite particles on the top of the jar can serve as a point of entry for contamination.  If you haven't inoculated yet, I'd go back and do it.  Even if you have inoculated, though, the presence of these particles doesn't necessarily spell doom for your mushies-- it just means that they may be slightly more prone to contamination from outside sources.

Once I dropped a jar on the floor after pressure cooking.  I went ahead and sterilized the jar again, but there were PLENTY of particles around the rim of the jar (and even stuck to the inside of the foil lid!).  That cake fruited just fine, no contamination.

QuoteAlso after pressure cooking, I'm assuming condensation on the inside of the jar is normal?

Absolutely.  The mycelia won't colonize unless they have moisture.  Later, especially if you use an incubator, the heat generated by the mycelia will cause even more moisture droplets to appear.