Casing Question...

Started by CAPTROB, May 12, 2008, 02:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CAPTROB

I have just crumbled and cased my pf cakes. The tek I am using I found on shroomery titled casing 101 and I was wondering if anyone had any more tips they would care to share with me as far as what to do after the mycelium starts to pop? I have read different post telling to spray down the mycelium heavily. I know with cakes you should not spray the cake directly, does this go for casing as well?

After I start to see mycelium popping threw the casing layer, is there anything I should do before placing them in the F.C. such as deep scratching or should I just place them in as is???

I have just recently lost my last batch and I don't want anything to go wrong with this one so any and all info will be and is GREATLY appreciated!!  Thanks in advance -_-

Baphom3t

"I was wondering if anyone had any more tips they would care to share with me as far as what to do after the mycelium starts to pop?"

Keep your RH around 95 - 100%
Keep FAE up to 3 - 5 times a day
Only mist(when needed) the inside of your FC. The mist will settle onto the casing.
You don't won't water to pool on the casing.

You don't need to deep scratch it.
Once you see the Myc popping through toss it in your FC.

What are you using for a FC?

Baph

tenaglia

if your casing mix has the correct moisture level, you don't need to spray it, use your eye to understand when needed.

As a rule you should put the casing to fruit when it's 20% colonized

Scratching would retard pinning process, don't do that

CAPTROB

>>What are you using for a FC?

I am using a 92qt/87L clear plastic rubbermaid tote with 1/4 inch holes that I have drilled along the sides. (not many of them, only like 7 on the two longest sides) In the last batch I had the bottom lined with perlite about 5 inches deep. This seemed to keep the humidity up at 100% with out even having to manual mist, however I did anyway. In this next batch I plan on lining the bottom with only two inches of perlite this time. I think this should give me enough humidity in the FC. I also have a temp and hygrometer meter that I purchased at a cigar shop! The FC always stayed at 73-74 degrees except what I gave them FAE it would drop down to 71 degrees, then back up to 73-74. As far as the humidity....never dropped below 100%.

>>Only mist(when needed) the inside of your FC. The mist will settle onto the casing.

Just the walls of the FC?

Thanks for the help and replies Baph and tenaglia

anno

I never mist the walls of the container, I always mist the casing directly. Just don't overdo it, the casing should be moist at all times, but it shouldn't be soaking wet for more than half a minute after you misted it. If it does, then you misted too much.