Type of rye seed

Started by jshroomer, June 13, 2008, 01:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jshroomer

I am new at this and I am quite skeptical about the type of rye seed that I am using.  I went to a home and garden store and purchased a bag of rye grass seed.  I think I was a little hasty in the process because I don't think that rye grass seed is another name for rye grain.  I also overlooked that on the bag it says "perennial" rye grass seed (I don't know what it means but it gives me a bad feeling). 

In addition, when I was preparing my quart jars I noticed the presence of blue dust on my fingers.  Furthermore, when the water was added, the water took on a blue tint, very similar to the barbicide you see in a barber shop.

This can't be normal.  If someone can please tell me either that I am about to waist 3 syringes, or that I will be okay with what I have, I would much appreciate it.

Baphom3t

Rye Berries are the same as rye grass seed and/or rye grain.
I always buy 50lb bags of Rye Berries at my local livestock feed store. -_-

Perennial means :
1: present at all seasons of the year
2: persisting for several years usually with new herbaceous growth from a perennating part <perennial asters>

"In addition, when I was preparing my quart jars I noticed the presence of blue dust on my fingers.  Furthermore, when the water was added, the water took on a blue tint, very similar to the barbicide you see in a barber shop."

Did you soak the Rye Berries for 24 hrs. and strain them till they ran clear?
If not then there is your problem.
Did you use a PC?
If you sterilized your jars with that discoloration and innoculated them you are kinda fucked.

Baph

anno

Quote from: Baph on June 13, 2008, 07:08:20 PM
Rye Berries are the same as rye grass seed and/or rye grain.

Rye grass seed is NOT the same as rye grain and can not be used for the same purpose.

Ryegrass seed is seed of grass plants meant to start lawns (Lolium perenne). It is used for producing sclerotia of for instance P. mexicana.

Rye grain is the seed of the rye plant(Secale cereale). It is used for spawn or substrate.

Ryegrass seed on the left, rye grain on the right:

The blue dust could be an added pesticide, possibly a fungicide, this you definitely don't want.

jshroomer

Thank you, both.  Especially you, Anno. 

Where can I find rye grain, though, other than online?  I looked for health food stores in my area, but there are no listings.  I visited places like Kroger and HEB, the new ones with organic health food and international food sections. I found nothing that said rye grain.  However, I did find certain types of brown rice that looks exactly like the picture you posted, and the bag was labeled whole grain though it says it is a type of brown rice.  Could this be the same thing but just another name for rye grain?

I finally got impatient and just bought a bag of wild bird seed that has wheat, various seeds, and multiple types of millet (though this is not my first preference).  I almost bought a bag of just millet, but it was a little expensive  and came in small bags.  But I am still looking for rye grain (because I have 3 syringes), so if I could get the name of some well-known stores that might be in my area that carry rye grain, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks again guys,
jshroomer

anno

A feed store could have rye. Or you can use wheat, it is similar to rye.