To Case or not to Case?

Started by bluerunner, July 03, 2008, 11:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluerunner

Hi there,

I'm following the PF-tek and my babies are still trying to colonize their jars.

But anyways, I am curious to know what the pro's and con's are of casing.  I was originally planning on just using a normal fruiting chamber on wet perlite etc...  But now I see more peopling talking about casing.  I know how to case for the most part and if I find gray areas I'm sure I can look it up. I just want to know what casing or not casing does on the biological level. Thanks!
Think for yourself, question authority.

Baphom3t

bluerunner

Thank you, but I already have those sites.  I was more wondering what exactly makes the casing procedure produce more and larger crop. How is it really working and why? I'm a biology student so I just like knowing how. ;)

-Also I'm a first timer with this PF-tek, do you think I should try one of these casing methods my first time or should I wait and try it on my second round?  My only real worry is contamination.  Don't casings add more chance for contamination?

Thanks,

and cool lyrics, I'm a fan myself.

Baphom3t

"I was more wondering what exactly makes the casing procedure produce more and larger crop."

It just does.
I don't study the specifics,just grow them  -_-
If you use soil and coir at 1:1 the soil acts as a contamination layer.
If I'm not mistaken Anno's casing tek is 100% pasteurized soil.

Beings you have cakes take 1/3 of your cakes and add casing to them and take the rest and fruit uncased.
After you see the differences between the 2 you will see why cased is superior.
If you case any just remember to pasteurize your casing material.
For your second round you should try grains.

If you follow proper techniques for sterility you will succeed with less chance of contam.
Casing only adds more of a chance of contam if it's not pasteurized properly.

Baph

bluerunner

"It just does.
I don't study the specifics,just grow them  :) "

lol yea I know, but I love to learn. For their sake of course. :D

I guess I will have to be looking up how to pasteurize and make an efficient casing mixture.
Any tips would be helpful.

Thanks for the advice Baph, I'll try what you said.

psilocybin warrior

I would have to imagine that casings produce more and larger fruits is because the casing provides more moisture, nutrients, and area for the fruits to grow.