Cope Cyan - bulk substrate dung/straw?

Started by IndiaShroomer, September 15, 2004, 12:52:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndiaShroomer

How old should dung be for use?  I intend to use a straw/dung bulk substrate for a new multispore Copelandia Cyanescens spawn run.(after pasteurizing).

The CopeCyan is a ridiculously common mushroom here in my part of India... it has been the trippiest monsoon ever :)
Also, I am still not so certain about the pasteurizing bit, I live in a hot steamy tropical land, and am almost certain to get contamination soon. If I do a small quantity can I sterilize?

Anno: BTW, if you remember a little bird sent me a psilocybe azurescens (1999, Austria) print in early 2000... I am still maintaining and cloning cultures, will these still be viable?
Or should I try another multispore innoculation?  I am going to try and get them to fruit this winter, I have alder chips for the wood based substrate when needed.
----------------------------
Seeing into Nothingness
This is the true seeing,
The eternal seeing

anno

>How old should dung be for use?

I have the best experience with aged, dried out dung.

>If I do a small quantity can I sterilize?
Sure, but you have to apply sterile techniques afterwards.

>if you remember a little bird sent me a psilocybe azurescens (1999, Austria)
>print in early 2000...
Sure I do!

>I am still maintaining and cloning cultures, will these still be viable?
Probably yes.

>Or should I try another multispore innoculation?

I would try both.

IndiaShroomer

Thanks Anno.
I took your advice, i went out and found some old 'leached' dung; there's lots of that around.

have done a batch of cope.cyan with dung only and a batch with a combination of dung and straw; both times the bulk substrate was sterilized, since I am not doing a large grow.

I am especially interested in seeing the difference between the one with straw and the one without; all other growing conditions remaining the same.

Will keep you posted.

Anyone want some of these Copelandia Cyanescens prints? I have a few to give away.

BTW, I posted this in the wrong forum, could this be moved to cultivation?
Seeing into Nothingness
This is the true seeing,
The eternal seeing

IndiaShroomer

24 September; An update on the Cope Cyan grow.

Batch 1 - dung only spawned on birdseed/verm; Saturday 18 Sept

Batch 2 -dung/straw spawned on birdseed/verm; Sunday 19 Sept

Batch 1 and 2 are now almost completely colonized with the typical copelandia/panaeolus fragile mycelium.This is only five complete days since the run.  At this time there is no contamination.
Both will be cased with a 50/50 peat/verm casing and will incubate again. Three days after casing they will go into the fruiting chamber.

At this time, there is no obvious difference in the speed of colonization on either bulk substrate. Both dung and dung/straw colonize evenly, and the speed of the copelandias always surprises me compared to cubensis.

Seeing into Nothingness
This is the true seeing,
The eternal seeing

IndiaShroomer

29 September; An update on the Cope Cyan grow.

Both cased with 50/50 verm/peat moss casing, Sunday 26 Sept

At this time, the dung only substrate casing is showing mycelia peeking up through the casing.
The straw/dung casing has not completed colonization, with very spots of mycelia peeking through.

No contamination on either casing at this point.

This weekend, both casings will be going into the fruiting chamber, large glass tank 12'x4'x3' (LxWxH). Humidified with perlite and occasional use of an ultrasonic humidifier.
Fruiting conditions will be maintained at 24-26 C; 95% RH.

Hopefully, there will be some fruiting a week to ten days from now.
Seeing into Nothingness
This is the true seeing,
The eternal seeing

IndiaShroomer

05 October; An update on the Cope Cyan grow.

Fruiting conditions maintained at 24-26 C; 92-95% RH, continous gas exchange.

Batch 1 has started forming primordia (pins), much faster than batch 2. Full fruiting for batch 1 is expected in the next three/four days.

Batch 2 is showing nominal hyphal knots just starting to veer towards primordia. Full fruiting for this batch is expected in 7/8 days.

This strain of copes clearly colonizes and fruits on plain dung faster than a straw/dung combination. Of course, the quality/potency of the fruiting body would determine which bulk substrate to adopt. Speed is an important but not the only consideration.

Seeing into Nothingness
This is the true seeing,
The eternal seeing

IndiaShroomer

07 October; An update on the Cope Cyan grow.

Spawn from multispore innoculation off a fresh print (4 days old:) of CopeCyans taken in the wild.

Batch 1 - showing pinning early - pin set formed by 5 Oct
Batch 2 - delayed pinning - pin set formed by 7 Oct

Batch 2 will start fruiting in the next three/four days.

FRUITING!

Batch 1 - has begun to fruit with clusters of about 12-18 mushrooms all around the casing, each mushroom is about 6 cm to 9 cm, with a cap diameter ranging between 1.5 - 4 cm.
Mushrooms have an almost white stem, and a light tan cap. The cap starts of dark brown and lightens as the mushrooms mature.

Anticipated Yield: 60-80 gms.
Seeing into Nothingness
This is the true seeing,
The eternal seeing

anno

Sounds excellent, don't forget to take prints! ;)

IndiaShroomer

12 October; An update on the Cope Cyan grow.

Spawn from multispore innoculation off a fresh print (4 days old:) of CopeCyans taken in the wild.

Batch 1 - showing pinning early - pin set formed by 5 Oct
Batch 2 - delayed pinning - pin set formed by 7 Oct

Batch 1 - fruited with clusters of about 12-18 mushrooms all around the casing, each mushroom is about 6 cm to 9 cm, with a cap diameter ranging between 1.5 - 4 cm. Total yield was somewhat less (48 wet gms) than anticipated because of a large number of aborts. Very concerning, as compared to my previous grows or as compared to cubensis. Maybe this has something do with it being completely wild at this time.

Batch 2 - Has not fruited! A complete pinset is visible on the casing, but there has been absolutely no development. I see no reason for why these casing dont fruit :(
Seeing into Nothingness
This is the true seeing,
The eternal seeing