somebody please help!!

Started by lostcause1138, July 11, 2008, 10:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lostcause1138

i dont know if the humidity isnt high enough (using ultra sonic humidifier) or there's too much CO2 built up, or the tempature is wrong (steady @ 74 degrees F), but only half my rice cakes have pinned in about 2-3 weeks after placing them in the terrarium, and after pinning they pretty much stop growing. i read somewhere that the humidity should be around 90%, but something else said it should be as high as possible without moisture forming on the cakes. Only 2 formed caps, but stopped growing and shriveled up before reaching an inch long! what the hell?!    somebody please help- any advice is appreciated..

Baphom3t

"i read somewhere that the humidity should be around 90%"

Not for brf cakes.
It should be 95 - 100%

"but something else said it should be as high as possible without moisture forming on the cakes."

Yes you don't want water pooling on the cake.
So you will have to find the "sweet spot" on the ultra sonic.
I use a ultra sonic myself :)

I would dunk those and turn the ultrasonic up till the RH is between 95 - 100
Do you have a humidity gauge?
What are you using for a FC?
Describe the FC setup you have.
More info will help best to determine the issue. :)

Baph

lostcause1138

ive got an ultra sonic hooked up to a styrofoam cooler with one 2 liter coke bottle between them. the cooler has 2 holes- one on the side for the entrance for the humidifier's tubing about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom, and another one on the bottom (for the water and co2 exit). both are about an inch across. ive got a metal screen elevating the cakes an inch or so off the bottom of the cooler. the lid has an airtight glass window i glued on to allow some light to enter. the cooler itself is elevated about an inch off the floor by four small styrofoam blocks i glued to the corners. there are two things im not sure about; will one small hole be enough for co2 to escape, or should i keep fanning it several times a day? also, i wasnt able to find any vermeculite (it's hard to find here, due to hydroponics), so i substituted it with perlite.  any advice is appreciated.