In search of help and advice.

Started by bluerunner, July 15, 2008, 05:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluerunner

Hi there,

Ok I'm just going to tell exactly what I have done thus far and you tell me if I've done anything wrong or w/e please just tell me.

So I followed the PF-Tek almost exactly.  Prepared the substrate correctly, pressure cooked the jars for 45 -50 min. and waited about 6 - 7 hours to cool.  Followed this by sterilizing my work station etc... Now instead of using foil as a lid (I used Kerr Wide mouth 1/2 pint jars) and I punched 4 holes on each lid for inoculation.  For sterilizing I used a simple lighter and rubbing alcohol on the needle.....  After inoculation I put a piece of aluminum foil over the lids. I then placed the jars into my incubator. I have a little thermometer inside to read the air temp. and its around 80-85 F.... ok after waiting maybe 11 days I chose to take off the Jar lids and replaced them with a new piece of foil. (so now there are 2 layers of foil acting as a lid) I did this simply because I did some research and found that better air circulation can speed up myc growth. Although it has its cons too but thats a different topic.

Ok so now its been 4 days after I did the lid swap.  I have little to no growth of myc in any of my jars. I have 12. I'm just wondering if I did something wrong or perhaps I'm simply being impatient, either way I'd just like some help.

If I have been unclear about anything just name the specific and I'll post back with a more detailed answer.

Thanks and peace.
Think for yourself, question authority.

anno

Were the spores fresh? How does the mycelium look, bright white or more greyish? Do the jars emit any smell? Did you take care to inoculate so you see the spore water drop run down the surface of the jar?

If the spores were older, then it can take a week or so for the growth to kick off.

Replacing the lid on sterilized jars is generally not a good idea, since there are big chances you bring contaminants in.

Can you make photos of the jars?

bluerunner

Yes they were, at least I believe they were. (fresh from the mail)

I'd say the myc is maybe grayish but it's hard to tell. Yes I inoculated to see spore water on side.

When I replaced the lids I was extremely carful and had a whole sterile setup so I'm not that worried but I'll keep knocking on wood. ;)

and yes I will take photos today and have them posted by tonight.

Thank you for the help Anno I really appreciate it.

Baphom3t

Just out of curiosity bluerunner where did you get your spores?
That may play a part.

If it isn't white it's not right.
The grayish color don't sound good.
But I will wait to see your pics and make a judgement.

Never remove the lids after innoculation,thats just asking for contam.
I'd lower the temp a bit 76-82 F.

Baph

anno

Hmm... the substrate looks ok, but I can see no mycelium. Do the jars emit any unpleasant smell?

bluerunner

Nope, the jars only smell like wet vermiculite.

anno

Then my guess would be that the spores are bunk.

bluerunner

does that happen often? I find that to be strange if true seeing how I used 2 different syringes each a different species for the 12 jars.  I split it 8 and 4. And they all look the same.
I just don't get it....
any further help would be appreciated.

anno

No, this doesn't happen often.

One last thing that I could think of is that the jars were still hot or very warm when you inoculated them?
Oh, and have you shaken the syringes properly before inoculation?

Baphom3t

The Hawks Eye is a vendor at shroomery last I looked, and I haven't heard of this happening very often.
Maybe he will work with you if you give him a E-mail.
Your jars look fine.
But as Anno stated if the jars were hot or to warm when you innoculated then that may be the issue.
Shaking the syringe before innoculation is important as well as it distributes the spores in the syringe.
How many cc's did you put to each jar?
To much equals to wet and can delay growth or not allow it to grow at all.

Baph

bluerunner

What happens if the jars were too warm during inoculation? This could be a possibility... and I'm slapping myself for it.  If this is the case, what can I do with these same jars? Can I simply re inoculate them?

Baphom3t

If you don't let the jars cool properly and innoculated them still to hot or warm then the spores are likely dead in those jars.
Toss out the substrate and start over, let the jars cool over night before you innoculate them.

Baph

bluerunner

Thanks to you both for the help, and I think you are right.  Live and learn I guess.