my jars???

Started by sawkaos, September 07, 2008, 02:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawkaos

i followed every step from the pf tek method and i used pint jars.. so i just doubled the amount i put 7 cups vermiculite and two cups brown rice....put in the jars and got pressure cooked for about 1 hour 10 minutes at 15lbs pressure.. when all done and cooled down i took the jars out and looked at them some look OK but a lot look kind of gooey on the sides of the jars this is my first time doing the jars is it normal to look gooey on the sides? pf tek said 3.5 cups vermic! and 1 cup brown rice flour so i just doubled it to make pint jars...if anyone's had this problem can you please tell me what i did wrong??? thanks!

sawkaos

it seems like to much brown rice???

Baphom3t

Did you use brown rice or brown rice flour?

You may have also got water in the jars during steralization which happens sometimes.

Baph

sawkaos

i used brown rice flour from Carr's in their health food area. i have a 23 quart presto pressure cooker, there are 3 lines for the water level i filled it to the very first one lowest level, I'm still new at doing jars but to me it did seem like a lot of water..also another problem i did was put polyfil in the jar lid and later found out i wasn't supposed to do that only with grains to use polyfil...there was a few Little water spots under the foil...i feel upset with myself because i pretty much wasted 3 syringes with 5 jars,!! i tried to make 16 pint jars and only 5 looked OK but still not sure. the rest have a gooey look to them! i thought i was doing right but i think the problem was to much water in the cooker and i shouldn't of used polyfill using the pf tek....can someone please tell me what do the  jars look like after its been pressure cooked, how does the substrate look... i guess I'm gonna have to just try to pressure cook 1 jar just to make sure i have it correct...........sawkaos.

Baphom3t

Why are you PC'ing BRF jars?
It's not needed.
If you read the TEK right, you'd have seen that you don't need to PC BRF.
3 Syringes on 5 jars is why they may be soo wet. <<  :rolleyes:

Baph

dedchk

from what you're saying it also sounds like you didn't cover your jars before you put them in the pressure cooker.  You should stick to boiling them and cover them with the lids first and then firmly, with tin foil over the lids.  Then make sure the water isn't too high.  Further , you dont need that much of your slurry to innoculate the jars.  Maybe just a cc per.

dedchk

sorry, I meant .1cc per jar, maybe .2

sawkaos

baph...why do you say its not needed to pc your jars using the brf....it says to pressure cook??? the jars where already gooey looking before i even injected it i had tin foil wrap all around the jars...to much water i think.....on the fungifun site it says to pressure cook your brf...???????????

psilocybin warrior

Baph said you don't need to pressure cook brf because simply you don't need too, you used 3 syringes on 5 jars? I use one syringe for 5 jars....

It's either too much spores or you diddn't cover the jars good enough with the foil or too much darn water in your pot.  If your using a pressure cooker you only need like a half inch to an inch of water over the stand.

sawkaos

easy question....why does it say to pressure cook your brf...,..vermic and brown rice flour in the fungifun tek....and people are telling me not to pressure cook???????? ya i know how much cc's to use but i felt like fuck it it already bad get some more..................

sawkaos

are you saying make a jar of vermic and brown rice flour mixed together and then inoculate right away with out pressure cooking this is trippin me out the tek says do it presssure cook and the baph says don't need to pc!!! i need to get this straight??? i have read the pf tek many mannnny times....can someone please explain why they say to pc in the tek.............thanks!

Baphom3t

It's quite simple sawkaos,
Some people PC BRF but it is not needed because BRF does not contain endospores like grains do.
Grains harbor endospores that if not soaked for 24hrs and PC'd will screw up a grow before it starts.

BRF does not harbor these endospores and therefore does not need to be PC'd.
Why Anno has it like he does is something you'll have to ask him.

But to answer your question,
You steam sterilize by bringing your pot to a full boil for 90 mins.
Once the water boils,reduce the stove burner to a lower setting,but make sure the water continues to boil and make steam.
Don't let the pot boil dry.

Baph

sawkaos

thanks for all your info Baph!!

High4life

yup I did what baph suggested earlier on dis forum, used the steam method and so far so good. Goodluck wit yours

bluerunner

I would say PCin is just to really maximize sterilization if you're doing say 12 jars at a time.
Think for yourself, question authority.

High4life

either way is good, just as long as you achieve sterilization

scam

How many jars should I be able to innoculate from one syringe?

Baphom3t