Fungal Adaptation

Started by IndiaShroomer, September 23, 2004, 08:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndiaShroomer

I have been thinking about adaptation by fungi to the local environment.

In this particular case, copelandia cyanescens grows naturally for about two months of the year in this part of India. Over a couple of growing cycles with copes, i have realized that they are much more resistant to contamination than the cubensis strains I have grown.

I feel this may have something to do with their being native to this environment. The copelandia mycelium seems to be much more effective in dealing with contamination, bacterial as well as fungal. I have seen it deal with most moulds ,except trichoderma  :(

In this case it is common adaptation in most living things (in mammals termed as 'immunity'), so the copelandia fungus is adapted to dealing with the competing bacteria/moulds.

(Of course you would never want to consume any mushrooms grown on such substrates, you never what metabolic by-products the battle between the competing fungi has extruded.)

In my opinion a grower would have a greater chance of success if he/she chose to grow a local strain. The local strain of the fungus would (given a decently sterile chance) outgrow and outcompete any other competing contaminant.

Another consideration, think of the consequences of having an introduced species of fungi in a native environment. For all you know, the local strain might die out completely and their environmental niche taken over the by the invading exotic strain. This kind of invasion has been seen on a macro mammalian level in australia and new zealand. The local flora and fauna is under constant threat from exotics.
----------------------------
Seeing into Nothingness
This is the true seeing,
The eternal seeing
----------------------------

anno

Any update on your research?