white fuzz on pins ok?

Started by Shroomer11, September 22, 2008, 12:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shroomer11

I'm new to growing mushrooms.  Once I dropped the cakes from the jar the white fuzz grew quickly for 3 days and now some pins have started coming up.  I'm hoping this is all normal, but thought I should ask the experts.  thanks

Baphom3t

Sometimes mycelium grows on the stems and caps.
How long have you had the cakes birthed?
3 days isn't enough time to know.
Doing cakes can take 1 - 2 weeks to produce pins after bithing.
It may also be cobweb mold.
A pic would help.

Baph

aetalevin

I'm also a first timer. I kept my brfs in the jar until I saw pinning. This turned out to be only one pin, and by the time I took the cakes out that pin was a farely large shroom. I really messed up cuz i couldnt get that cake out and ended up killing that one. So thats the reason for the big one without a cap in the middle.  Anyways I've also had alot of white puffs and some fuzz out around the cakes. Some of my cakes wouldn't fully colonize but I put all five of them in the terrarium anyways.  Not sure if this was the right thing to do, but I thought the entire experiment was done when i lost my one and only mushroom.  More pinning has started though, but this white fuzz is scaring me.  Any recommendations as to what I should do?

Baphom3t

Links not working aetalevin !!
Upload your pics at photobucket or imageshack :)

Mycelium will look like mycelium if it's grow on the caps and stems.
Cobweb Mold can look like mycelium is but more grayier and stringy,like really thin spaghetii.(at least to me it does)
Trichoderma mold looks like mycelium but knots up fast on casings and is green inside.
Here's a example of Trich.

If you look at where I circled,it looks like mycelium!
But it's not.
It's Trichoderma
It took about 48 hrs for me to see this.
Molds / Trich, can / will colonize a casing fast.
Pay attention to your cakes/trays.

Mycelium will show on casings but if shit pops up almost overnight like what I circled,I'd be suspiscious.
Molds colonize faster than Myc for the most part.

Some cubes are known to have fuzziness(due to mycelium,I'm not sure the technical name for it :) ).
I had a patch of PR's do that.

I suggest you NOT hijack sombody else's thread and start your own.
Oh, and get a image provider that works.  :mellow: ^_^
Sorry,I had to do it.

Baph