RH help

Started by jrfungi, December 21, 2008, 07:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrfungi

I have a 10 gallon aquarium with an entire bag of perlite and it is about 4 inches thick. I wet it down and used the strainer method. The temp is 72-75 in the FC. The seal is good and the hydrometer is working fine but I cant get the RH above 85. Any ideas on how to up it? Just add more perlite? I am getting huge stems and very small caps :(

Thanks in advance!!!

psilocybin warrior

4 inches thick is too much.  What are u fruiting in the tank? casings? cakes? How much FAE is it getting? Whats the surface area of the perlite?

PW

jrfungi

I have 6 1/2 pint cakes and 1 pint cake. The surface area is the same size as the bottom of the aquarium about 16 by 24 inches. I am fanning 3 times a day for FAE. I am spraying the sides and the perlite every so often. I am pulling my hair out over this, tonight it is 88%.

Would the low RH cause the small caps and huge stems?

psilocybin warrior

Do you have any wire mesh stands so you can keep the cakes directly off the perlite, also stop giving the perlite more water that takes away from evaporation.  Are you sure your hygrometer is calibrated correctly?  A way that you can check is place a teaspoon of salt in a bottle cap and put a few drops of water on it so its moist not wet.  Put the cap of salt in an airtight container with your hygrometer, give it a couple hours and it should read 75% rh if its says 60% you know that its off by 15 get it? just be sure that it stays at the same rh level before you try recalibrating it.

some other things you could do is stick a fishtank heater in a water container w/ or w/out an airstone, that is a good mcguiver humidifier. I know of other way's I just don't know what you have to work with.

psilocybin warrior

jrfungi

I calibrated its 75%
cakes are on foil  directly on the perlite
I am new but can get anything to work with so all suggestions appreciated

Thanks PW for all your input. I am going to experiment with the wire because they are sitting on foil on the perlite. They are almost spent so I will mess with it and try to get it up for my casing that should be ready in the next week or two. I appreciate all your help, time, and expertise!! Thanks

PS i think i am hooked on this hobby!!