casing and dunk question

Started by frankiller, September 24, 2008, 11:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankiller

hi. i read this site for 3 week now. it give me some idea , but i had some question.

1-peat,vermiculite and limestone casing do a real difference compared to "no casing" culture?

2-with a peat,vermiculite and limestone casing, is it possible To dunk the cake?

3- when is the good time to put a polyfil lid filter? directly at the beginning, after 3-4 days or what?

thanks for your answer!

Baphom3t

1. Casing produces more fruit compared to no casing.

2. Yes

3. Not sure I understand the question.
Polyfil filter is used during colonization, not during casing.
Hope I understood the last one right.

Baph

High4life

in the beginning before  you innoculate use the spore tape or  mask tape.
use the vermiculite its much better

frankiller

yes baph, you understand perfectly.but i know that polyfill is used during colonisation.

so, if i'm right with the answer of high4life; i can just drill mini-hole  in the "polyfill cap" ,inject spore and put something on the mini-hole... i think it's right, yea?

High4life

you dont have to put anything on the holes. Just maintain a constant temp and keep the humidity high enough to see water deposits on the side of the chamber.

psilocybin warrior

If you are preparing using the pf-tek method you do not need polyfill for anything.  You're supposed to punch 4 tiny holes in each corner of the lid just small enough for a needle to get thru then cover the holes with ductape and wrap a couple layers of tinfoil around the lids so no water can get in and you can steralize the jars.  Once there cooled down to about room temp peel back the ductape and begin to innoculate and once your done with each hole cover it back up with the tape.  Once they are done colonizing have your casing mix handy and load the pf-cakes into the clean container your using, and put in your mix but keep it loose and airy so it will colonize faster then put like a 1/2 inch layer on top of the cakes and give it a nice mist and wrap tinfoil over the top and begin incubating them, or you could keep them at room temp. Then check on em around a week later to see how there doing.

I hope that helps but for some reason I don't completely understand this thread.

frankiller

i understand 10/10. i know that i can do this, PW, but the use of polyfill in the lid seem to accelerate the colonisation time.

"wrap tinfoil over the top and begin incubating them"...
isn't  a bad idea? the mush need a bit of light to grow, no?

Baphom3t

I don't see how polyfil could make your jar(s) colonize faster.

It gets cold as hell where I live and my house never falls below 70 degrees
There is no need to incubate.
Unless you live in the artic circle,adding heat during colonization is not needed IMO.

Light is a pinning trigger and is not desired during colonization.

Baph

captshroom

"These instructions will guide you step by step through the process of making a very effective jar lid filter that will allow for fast colonization of SHAKEABLE SUBSTRATES through better gas exchange without compromising their sterility."

Cakes are not shakeable substrate. In BRF cakes the dry verm on top is the filter and the syringe holes provide some gas exchange. The polyfill is for grains not PF cakes

frankiller

ok, now i understand. i'LL read much more before doing anything  -_-

thanks to all!

Baphom3t

frankiller

another little question: if i want to dunk and i use the peat,vermiculite and limestone casing; i use the same casing for the second flush or do a new mix?

Baphom3t

Yes you use the same batch.

Baph

frankiller

bluerunner

Quote from: captshroom on September 30, 2008, 07:34:38 AM
"These instructions will guide you step by step through the process of making a very effective jar lid filter that will allow for fast colonization of SHAKEABLE SUBSTRATES through better gas exchange without compromising their sterility."

Cakes are not shakeable substrate. In BRF cakes the dry verm on top is the filter and the syringe holes provide some gas exchange. The polyfill is for grains not PF cakes

I dunno about that, I'm using the pf-tek using jars with lids.  And I have fit polyfil filters on all of my jars and covered the tiny 4 inoculation holes up with tape.  I put em in my incubator and its been 10 days since inoculation and I would say I'm at about roughly 35-40% myc colonization.  If my setup is flawed please let me know lol.
Think for yourself, question authority.