Did I use too much water in my cakes???

Started by CDS, September 26, 2008, 06:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CDS

Ok, I know you recommend saturating the verm to field capacity instead of measuring the water, so I did that, and for 8 cups of verm, it took like 5 cups of water...

I have been told that that is too much, and that it will slow my colonization.

If I plan to dunk anyway, would a lower verm:water ratio be better, since the cake will reach field capacity when dunked?

Thanks for any assistance

Baphom3t

Well you will know for sure in about 1 - 2 weeks.
If you see colonization you will know the amount was proper for that batch.
If not,then you may have to adjust your measurements.

Field capacity for verm is needed.
You don't want a river runninng from your hand when you squeeze it.
Squeeze until it drips occasionally.
For colonizing you must follow the prep of sub to a tee.

Are you possibly reffering to "after steirlizing"?(Damn,I need to work on my spelling!!)
If so, then you may not have had the foil wrapped tight enough around the tops :)

Baph

CDS

Sorry, what do you mean by "after sterilizing"?

I certainly didn't add anymore water after I PC'd them if that's what you're wondering...

Baphom3t

Did it look to wet before you pasteurized/sterilized your BRF?
If so you could have adjusted the mix prior to loading in the jars.
Did you add the dry verm layer?
If the jars looked ok before you PC'd them and then looked to wet afterwards,that means the foil wasn't wrapped tight enough.

Baph

CDS

It looked wet before I added the flour, sorta like it was a little over saturated, you know- just barely pooling water on top of the big blob of verm sludge... But when I tilted the bowl like in the pics, there was no water draining out, so I figured it was ok. I added the dry verm layer and PC'd, after which they also looked fine...

But I've been told I should just stick to the 2:1:1 PF Tek ratio- that they will colonize faster with less initial water, then by dunking them I will saturate them prior to fruiting... It's been 5 days and out of 5 strains, most of them show some growth, a few show almost none, and one strain shows a whole lot more. These first set of jars was done with spores, but I didn't have enough spores to do them all, so I am hoping to do the majority of my jars as soon as my LC finishes, and I am just looking for the best overall ratio.

-Thanks again

Baphom3t

Then adjust the measurments accordingly.
I don't do PF TEK  :mellow:
I'm a grain guy  -_-

Baph