mycelium not growing at the bottom of the jars?

Started by doc, September 27, 2008, 07:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc

it has been exactly 24 days today since i inaculated 6 jars.
the mycelium covered up all of the jars, except at the bottom where some of it is white but there are still a few spots not covered. this morning i fliped over the jars, gave them a little tap so the cake could slide down a bit thinking maybe this will help, is this okay? by the way theyre at room temperature in a closet.

Baphom3t

I have read where people have done this flip in the jars.
There is varying veiws on it and I have never done it.
If the mycelium is staying away from those spots like the plauge then it could be contam.
Myc won't grow where there is contam.

It may just take a little longer due to compacted mix in those spots also.
Let it go on another week while keeping attention to myc growth in those spots.
I forget whose doing BRF and who's doing grain. :huh:
Man I smoke to much grass  :mellow:

Baph

psilocybin warrior

Thats happend to me a couple times where I was doing pf-tek.  What I did was turn the jar upside down and started knocking on the bottom of the jar very gently and then gradually started knocking on it harder until the cake slid down enough to make a gap between the bottom of the cake and the bottom of the jar. Then they finished colonizing just fine.

doc

well i still see no progress on my jars (i used the simple minds tek, and not a bit of mycelium growing at the bottom since i flipped em upside down..
so many attempts to grow, still nothing but failures :(
if theres any advice, please help.. it sucks to have been waiting over 7 months and still cant get shit to grow :(

psilocybin warrior

Did you knock your knuckles on the bottom of the jar once it was flipped to create a gap in between the bottom inside of the jar and the bottom of your cake? Because if you didn't do that....whats the point of flipping them over if the cake is still touching the bottom of the jar not allowing mycelium to grow?

g fung

I find that flipping jars is good just to let CO2 fall out. My money is that you either have a contam and don't know what to look for or your cakes are just plain cold. Green mold can be hard to spot sometimes, especially on birdseed. I suggest opening one jar dumping the sucker out so you can give it a whiff. What you want to smell is funky mushroom smell and not a putread or acrid scent. Also get yourself some cambodian spores, they are good for you (quick and easy strain). The more obvious problem that you have (without question) is that your cakes are cold. Remember that the names of the strains are names like cambodia, honduras, mexican, thailand and NOT maine, michigan, vermont. Your incubator can be as simple as a cooler with a bottle of warm water that you swap every one or two days. 85 to thrive! Oh one more thing if its too cold and your mycelium isn't colonizing quickly, you are allowing for mold, yeast, bacteria etc. to take over b/c they are much more flexible as far as temperature goes. 85 to thrive!

psilocybin warrior

Molds and other contam's thrive in heat, I usually keep my inc. temps around 76 degree's and have no problems.  Maybe they were just packed too tight, were you planning on casing the cakes once they were finished? Back in the day ive fruited pf-cakes that were only like 95% colonized.  If you doing pf cakes(im not really sure?)

g fung

your lucky... my molds and contams seem to thrive at ALL temps

Ono Nadagin

Might you have possibly cooked the bottom of the jars while sterilizing? I  am just now getting back into growing but if I remember correctly I once had the same thing happen and the kind ppl that turned me onto this hobby told be that in their experience that when the bottom of a jar doesnt colonize and you worked clean.... it is due to overheating/cooking the jars in the bottom of the PC/rack did you run low on water in the PC?

mine still turned out fine I just trimmed the bottom off after the rest of the jar fully colonized then put em into the FC