Dunking a case??

Started by sin2win, October 13, 2008, 12:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sin2win

How is this done??  I know with the cakes u just hold them in water for 12 hrs but a cake is portable and a big case with case mix on top of it is different.  Do u take the case mix off or just spray down with water... do u add case mix??

I decided to do half cakes and half rye (half of the syringe... again this is my first time) and casing everything and even maybe using 1 rye jar to inuculate more jars. TY for ure input and wish me luck lol.. still waiting on my spores. :mellow:

psilocybin warrior

No you don't take the case mix off and don't add mix either, just give it a good mist.  Dunking casings is inadequate and a big mess you don't need to deal with. But it could be dunked if you flood the casing and put it in a turkey bag overnight in the fridge and then in the morning poke some holes in the side of the bag and let the water drain out.  But is pretty unnecessary so I'd say  just give it a GOOD mist.

Baphom3t

http://www.fungifun.org/English/Casing

Casing for Grains is NO differant than Cakes.

When you dunk with casing,some people "patch" the areas left over from the flush.
You DO NOT scrape/take the casing off.
That means after any flush.

After you let it dunk you drain the water from the tray and put back in FC(with or without patching)
You may need to make a small new batch of casing to "patch" but other than that none.

Hope I'm getting the question right :)

Baph

sin2win

No u got it Baph thx.  To go a little further in... so i just pick off all the shrooms that grew, and fill it with water?? Than drain it either by spilling out or at the bottom.. is this right?  Wont the case mix at the top and bottom be 2 wet?

Also, how do u recommend lowering the humidity in a FC (when u just have the perlite at the bottom??? Venting more often?

Baphom3t

"so i just pick off all the shrooms that grew, and fill it with water??"

Your tray yes.

"Than drain it either by spilling out or at the bottom.. is this right?"

If you use 2quart almunium trays you drain them out by tilting them.
But after the 1st or 2nd flush the Myc has a tendency to cause holes at the bottoms of the trays.
Just make sure that if you tilt the trays to wear a sterile glove so you can put your hand on it to keep it from falling out.
Get as much water out after the dunk. :)

"Wont the case mix at the top and bottom be 2 wet?"

No,it will be rehydrated and start the next flush.

More FAE can help reduce RH.
You can also take some perlite out.
Or get a bigger FC.
Make sure you have a hydrometer to measure the RH before goofing with your RH.

Baph

sin2win

Ok cool, yea i was goignt ot get those Alumionum trays also but went with the plastic ones so i can reuse them.  How do u feel about those hydrometers?  I was going to get like a thermometer/hydrometer for like 20$ at walmart but i read that most of the hydrometers dont work welll except 1 from a cigar shop... whats ure opinion on this, should i just but that 1 from walmart?

Baphom3t

I use just about anything to read my RH to be honest.
But the ones for humidors work really well like this one http://www.thompsoncigar.com/default.aspx?sid=10hzne55bmllzqrpc1iu5l55&uid=165&CategoryID=97&page=product
I've used temp/RH gauges that hang outside in my FC.  -_-
They work and are cheap but don't last long.

Knowing your RH is a must.

Baph