change of mind...

Started by sin2win, October 09, 2008, 08:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sin2win

OK lol, after all my questions i think im having a change of mind of what tek im going to use for my first time... so here come many more lol srry.

I have been reading over this forum (posts going way back) and decided not to use the pf way.  Well maybe 1/2... but bottom line i owuld like to case.

1. Ive seen here that you can make a casing using the cakes (alligned and covered in 60% peat, 30% vermiculite and 10% limestone flour ).  Now my Q's is, how does this compare to using grains (feild result wise).  doesthe cake case produce the same  as a grain case?  Is 1 faster? (myc forms faster in the grains, correct??)  Is throwing the mix in the microwave enought or do you PC it after?

2. when fruiting, all that u need, as far as humidity, is whats on top?  u just cover the case (meaning u dont have to put anything wet under it?) and keep the humidity at 95+?

3.  For a beginner, 1st timer,  What method would u reccomend?? casing the cakes or just going with the grains?  Also, which case mix (IYO) produces the best?  is the 1 i posted above good?

4.  Last Q. what size of a pressure cooker is ideal for grain jars? (again i dont want to spend much so whats the smallest thats ideal lol) 

TY and srry for these long posts but i been reading and reading and im just trying to make sure i do it right.  Im going to be sterile as fck or try 2, also does any1 do this in a bedroom, i seen the smaller the room the better.  Is this true or is it ok if i just oust every sq. in of the room.  again srry 4 the lloooooooong post!

Baphom3t

Quote from: sin2win on October 09, 2008, 08:36:56 PM
1. Ive seen here that you can make a casing using the cakes (alligned and covered in 60% peat, 30% vermiculite and 10% limestone flour ).  Now my Q's is, how does this compare to using grains (feild result wise).  doesthe cake case produce the same  as a grain case?  Is 1 faster? (myc forms faster in the grains, correct??)  Is throwing the mix in the microwave enought or do you PC it after?

Grains provide a better source of nutes.Although BRF is good,it is imo more slower in growth due to it being more compacted compared to grains.
Grains colonize faster than BRF.
Grains HAVE to be sterilized.

2. when fruiting, all that u need, as far as humidity, is whats on top?  u just cover the case (meaning u dont have to put anything wet under it?) and keep the humidity at 95+?

Not sure if I understand this one.
But as far as RH you need a FC,in your FC(depending on the size) you use either perlite or a humidifier.

3.  For a beginner, 1st timer,  What method would u reccomend?? casing the cakes or just going with the grains?  Also, which case mix (IYO) produces the best?  is the 1 i posted above good?

As a 1st timer I started with grain but had a pretty good freind  work with me through it a couple times.
I would recommend you start with the PF TEK and case half your grow so you can get a idea of what to do with both growing and casing.
You don't want to blow alot of money out the window on your 1st attempt :)
As far as what casing type to use,it's up to you in the end.
I've cased with coir,verm,verm/coir 60/40 and 50/50, and top soil.
Casing needs to be NON-nutrient.Although coir has nutes,it can be used as a casing.I've expieremented with coir a bit and find it works pretty well and can be used to help in spawning bulk grows ;)

4.  Last Q. what size of a pressure cooker is ideal for grain jars? (again i dont want to spend much so whats the smallest thats ideal lol) 

I use one with a gauge http://www.pressurecooker-outlet.com/prestop18qtcan.htm
I'm not a expert at ones without a gauge because it's trickier trying to maintain proper pressure for me.

Baph

Trips509

To answer your very last question, I grow in my room. Just close all windows and air vents. Make sure to move the air around as little as possible and just spray lysol every where. I almost never have contams anymore.

Baphom3t

oops,i must have missed something that wasn't in question form.
If you have a closet or a bathroom that has a door then your good.
Close it(the one you choose) up as tight as possible,I use towels to help stop airflow.
Move in without creating alot of air movement spray again.
Wait 5 -10 mins after spraying in the room and innoc.

I inooc in my bathroom and then move finshed jars to my closet.
I grow in my bedroom.
My setup may be a bit bigger but the point is that,you want to humidify the FC.
If that FC is in your room you have to figure out space.
I can have 3 greenhouses if I want but it comes down to "what can I handle" in the space provided.

Baph

High4life

relax and stick to the basics before getting into the more complicated methods.

sin2win

yes i was going to do the cakes but...lol, i figured i wanted to case the cakes and since im casing anyway, i might as well use grains since i have gotten a pc (also i feel that if i get past the colonization part w/ no contam's, which is almost the same as pf, i feel like there's not 2 much left).  Again, i was going to case anyway, and if i wasnt, i would eventually.  Im not goingt to make single cakes and not case them, well, cuz i like a little challange lol.  Plus i did A LOT of reasearch on multiple sites... and.. I GOT 4 SYRINGES!!! lol so i can mess up just a little bit. again wish me luck and ill keep yall updated!

High4life

Gooduck with your project...and keep us updated with your work.