help please can i sub

Started by doughboy86, October 24, 2008, 02:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doughboy86

i was wonder if someone could tell me the diffrence between perlite and vermiclite if i could exchange vermiclite for perlite

High4life

Perlite is the substance that holds small amount of water for the fruiting chamber. That creates humidty inside the chamber. Vermiculite is the substance used to mix with water and brown rice flour to make your cake.

cant substitute.

psilocybin warrior

You can Sub. Verm for Perlite Ive done it many times back in the day.  However it does make it a little more susceptible to contams, but ive never had any contams using verm to retain moisture.

psychonaut

i learned this in my greenhouse management class.   vermiculite and pearlite sere completly diff purpose.  vermiculite is mica put through what is essentially a giant popcorn popper to expand it, the purpose is to hold as much water as possible. vermiculite is designed not to hold moisture.    if you are using the 2 in a potting mix for plants, the formula is 1:1:1 peat moss, vermiculite, pearlite. verm to hold water and pearlite to provide airspace

Baphom3t

I wouldn't sub.
Perlite provides RH.Verm don't.
That's why old hands will tell you to put a barrier between the cakes and perlite.
Cakes directly on perlite have a tendency to become water logged.
So imagine what it would do for your cakes if you roll in perlite.

Baph

psilocybin warrior

I wouldn't sub either, I was just saying that IS possible....just not recommended is what I should have said.