Am I doomed?

Started by TimidMushroom, October 13, 2008, 01:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimidMushroom

Hi to all, and congrats on a great resource.

I couldn't get brf, coffee grinder or pc so ground some organic br using a pepper mill and a mortar & pestle for the tough bits.

After mixing together and steam sterilizing I have innoculated with almost one year old p cube amazon spores.

The 3 jars have been sitting near a low temp heater now for 5 days in the dark, no signs of colonization. I know this can take a while with older spores but the question I have is:

Due to the fact the brf was ground to not as fine a grade as flour using the above method have I jeopordized my efforts?

So far no growth I am being patient just curious if this will cause problems.

Thanks!

psilocybin warrior

I think your ground up br should be ok, be patient and lets see what happens.

High4life

Since you didnt grind it very fine, its just going to take a lil longer than usual, ur not doomed.

Baphom3t

Never ground my own BR so I can't really help.
If anything I can do would say grind it till it looks like the pics and TEK's you can see of BRF on the web.

Sry :)

Baph

TimidMushroom

hi guys, thanks for the responses.

All 3 jars viciously contamd I'm sure there was too much water (ingress I reckon from steam sterilization) so have used jar with lid this time and a microwave ster tek on one jar as a control subject. Looks much better this time so will keep you lot posted.

Look forward to some positive results with a bit of luck!

High4life

damn sorry to hear that.......try again

Baphom3t

Try wrapping the foil tighter around the lids while going halfway down the jars with foil, wrap them bitches tight.
You may have had to much water in your pot also.
Don't sweat a failure,it happens to us all.
Work on your TEK by trying again.

Baph

TimidMushroom

Cheers for the encouragement lads, will persevere!

Random thought - if water ingress while steaming is a problem why not completely encase the jars in foil and when finished and cool simply use a sharp blade to cut round the jar a little from the top and there you go - innoculate, reapply foil lid and await fluffy goodness (which hopefully bears no resemblance to my green and yellow fluff)

Baphom3t

You can wrap the whole jar but it's not really needed.
Just wrap half.

Baph

High4life

you got contam because something wasnt sterlized enough, try to re check your steps and see what you might have overlooked.

see one thing I did when I sterlized the jars was put aluminum foil 3 inches above the inside of the pot so the foil isnt touching the bottome of the pot. I had a tray hold the foil and fill the water just barely touching the foil and made very little holes in it so the steam can come up but keep the water out from jumping into the jars and getting it wet.