Q/ casing cakes

Started by sin2win, October 13, 2008, 11:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sin2win

As i plan on doing both cakes and grains (for my 1st time... i know i  might be pushing it a bit) but when i case the cakes.. in the spaces between the cakes or spaces to the wall, can i fill those in with the grain substrate, crush a cake, or just leave it??  whats the best to get the biggest yeild?

g fung

When I don't do true bulk, I still like to use manure (pasteurized) to fill those spaces, let it colonize then case.  The reality is that the manure is free and if not usually cheap as shit, easy to prepare (cook, covered and moist, in the oven with an internal temp of 150f for an hour or more). But to answer your question it prob doesn't matter as most things that people freak out about don't matter. If you have really big chunks with monstrous spaces between you may get an uneven pinset but if your parameters are right you'll still get shrooms. I'm sure that some members will be all over me for saying these things but look at me. I have a bastardized conglomeration of improvised teks that make up my system. As a matter of fact I follow not a single complete tek posted on this site or the shroomery etc. and I yield a shit ton of shrooms (enough to wow me at least). It is just a fungus remember, if you keep the competing organisms out, the temp right and the humidity (for all intensive purposes) as high as you can get it without flooding your fruiting cake or pan, it'll be hard to not make them grow. Thats not to say that I haven't seen some disasters and been let down or that you see the same. Experiment and research, the cliche about skinning cats isn't true to perspective in the case of mycology; "there's more than more than one...thousand ways to skin a cat."

Baphom3t

Just fill the spaces with the casing.
The way to get the biggest weilds is proper enviornment.
That's with any cube multispore innoc.
To get more you should look into isolation.

Baph

sin2win

ok... and yea baph, i am actually looking into isolation (i think... cloning?) but step 1 is to grow a mushroom that i could clone and get the single strain.  but im not focusing on that now lol, i got enought to worr boout. :mellow:

I was going to ask  u, a buddy of mine gave me some agar from his classroom, it says "Agar Bacterial" and it looks like the same powder as the potato 1 (it is in it's original bottle).  Also i got some petri dishes and half r glass and half platic, plactic is ok right?  i like the plastic 1 more as their smaller.

Baphom3t

Since you already got alot to focus on,how bout you deal with isolation/cloning after a few sucsessful grows bro :)
I mean no disrespect by that,I just don't want to overload your brain.

Baph

sin2win

lol, no disrespect... I think ure right,  Ive been studying up soooo much that i think it might be a lil 2 much.  I read countless teks, FC, drying methods, sup,   sigh.  Im just going to focus on the task at hand but hard to do with all the excitemnt building up.  :wacko:

g fung

by the way sin to win, my house is dirty.

psilocybin warrior

build an air filter for your room ^_^

g fung

I was just being persnickity pw.