dehydrator doesn't have adjustable heat knob

Started by gdizzle, October 18, 2008, 04:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gdizzle

i recently bought a food dehydrator with 5 trays but it doesn't have an adjustable heat knob so im curious to know if its still ok to use ?
it does have vents on both the top and the bottom of the unit though but other than that it just plugs in and heats up, no fan inside of anything very basic

High4life

I would return it for a dehydrator where u can adjust the specific temperature, its gonna cost more than the regular type but its well worth it. remember adding too much heat will make the shroom lose its potency.

g fung

I worry about any heat at all, as I worry about the heat speeding the oxidization process and reducing potency. If your climate is really dry, a loose stack or pile of shrooms with a big fan on it works provided that you remember to rotate and fluff the shrooms. Thats only if your really dry mind you. My climate is usually about 70%rh to 80%rh so this method is out for me but it has worked for me when I have lived in other regions.

I prefer desiccant in a container with a fan in it. Cheap, easy and ultra effective. Another side bennifit to this is that while you are purchasing desiccant you can also purchase O2 absorbing packets and use the two together to preserve the fungus and its miraculous chemistry. Desiccant can be easily found on the web in bulk (loose beads in cans or big jars and not in the little white packets), for cheap (with shipping you can probably get it for about $35).  I would order some desiccant today, return your dehydrator tomorrow, keep a fan on em in the meantime.

Silica gel and some other varieties can also be renewed to their full potential by cooking it in the oven, but check the manufacture's specs and instructions before doing so. Indicator desiccant is SWEET!

wizdumb

I use a non adjustable heat dehydrator as well.  I keep the shrooms on the to tray and the vents all the way open.  I haven't noticed any reduction in potency. 

gdizzle

i had bought it second hand for 10$ so theres no returning it.. i have read numerous places that it loses potency and then that it doesn't

my climate is very humid so a fan isn't very affective for me neither, wizdumb i will try leaving the vents open but can't put them on the top tray i have alot to dry as my first tub did rather well, maybe i'll be able to find another one with an adjustment and salvage the trays as they alone would cost the same or a little more than what i paid for the whole thing... anyways thanks :)

wizdumb

stick a thermometer on the lowest rack. see what it reads. I would GUESS that anything at or under 120 deg. is OK.  Mine doesn't get that hot.  Just hot enough to make the air dry.  The shrooms still take 8-10 hrs to dry.  So your dehydrator may be different than mine.

gdizzle

wish i had a thermometer to find out the temp. i was told up to 160 F is even fine but i got all 5 racks drying out my first flush right now both vents are open so i guess i'll just have to see what happens :)

Baphom3t

You want the lowest temp setting you can get.
I have known people to remove the heating element from dehydraters.
You should try and get a thermometer to at least get a idea of what your temps are in it.

Baph

inneralchemy

Quote from: g fung on October 19, 2008, 07:17:02 AM

I prefer desiccant in a container with a fan in it. Cheap, easy and ultra effective. Another side bennifit to this is that while you are purchasing desiccant you can also purchase O2 absorbing packets and use the two together to preserve the fungus and its miraculous chemistry.

Can you elaborate on this a little bit? You put desiccant in a container with a fan? What kind of container, where do the mushies go? Can you draw a mental picture? Thanks!!

fattrout

i bought an adjustable one at bed,bath & beyond and it works great. i put it on the lowest temp. it was $45 on sale... I love it, i can pull a flush and in 12 to 24 hr. im eatting. lol -_-
fattrout

captshroom

I have a non adjustable dehydrator too. I don't plug it in. I just put the shrooms in and set it on top of a turbo fan. I let it run for a couple days 'till the little ones are nice and dry.

sin2win

Quote from: fattrout on February 01, 2009, 11:30:57 AM
i bought an adjustable one at bed,bath & beyond and it works great. i put it on the lowest temp. it was $45 on sale... I love it, i can pull a flush and in 12 to 24 hr. im eatting. lol -_-
Hell yeah! i bought the same be4 christmas time, its great i luv it!
BTW, am i gowing crazy or did u say Best Buy first?? im confused haha

fattrout

no your not crazy, my bad i must have be fuck up that nite. i just noticed my mistake and changed it....lol
fattrout

sin2win

i c... trust me, i know how that goes (being fucked up) hence the time 5 am.  well c hwo much i menber of this post  :ph34r: the afro seemned cool

Baphom3t

This was gdizzles thread and he hadn't responded since 10-19-08,so that means this is a hi-jacked thread.
I will not say anything else in this thread .

Baph

p.s,
learn how to make new threads people  :rolleyes:

sin2win

hhahhaha, see what happens when u leave!
i dunnotnt know im drunk  :ph34r:

jrfungi

Baph we love you man but no one has been on our ass lately!!!!!

Welcome back brother!!!

fun guy bplus

im with gfung all the way. potency is your friend, and your friends friend, and his friends friend, u c where im going with this