Having a few concerns about the FC

Started by Darkestfall, December 10, 2010, 03:47:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkestfall

Hey I'm new and was concerned with what the best approach to the FC would be; as depicted in the PK-Tek for simple minds it is shown that either containers with translucent tops that are basically sealed  (with regular fanning and so forth) are implemented or a giant plastic container with holes in it (terrarium) that seems to be unpopular among the forums as I have read. Im supposing that the subsrate the cakes sit on isnt really significant (be it perilite or another vermilite mixture, etc.)-- Was wondering whether I could get a clear insight on this obviously tricky subject. Also, I'm also concerned with the matter of not directly spraying the cakes with any water, but only spraying the substrate the cake rests on in the FC; It's to my understanding mushrooms need vigorous watering to grow? If someone can clarify, you'd have my thanks.

Shawn

A little off topic, as I do not personally know direct terms, as said person above.

Although I do not know much about the process, I know how some of the process works, but would like clarification on some terminology.
Is their a said topic where I can find these things, also in the growing process, what would your top 5 picks be for growing, as I already know there are allot of 'PF-Tek's', I would just like a few extra opinions on personal experiences.

I would also like to know, if a closeted environment would work, or would it need an open space. If open space, how would you recommend the growth in cold weather.

Thanks for any answer's that may come, and I hope that they get answered by someone with great personal experience, the poster above and mine that is.

Because I have had no experience at all growing, and I want to get it off right without any failed 'experiments' and wasted money.

Thanks once again

darksyde

Darkestfall,

Hi and welcome to the forum..

The best FC is the one that fits your needs and your budget. It depends on mow much you want to grow and how elaborate you want to get.

QuoteIm supposing that the subsrate the cakes sit on isnt really significant (be it perilite or another vermilite mixture, etc.)

The substrate is the nutrients you're colonizing (BRF, Grains, Poo)
Perlite is used for humidification.

QuoteAlso, I'm also concerned with the matter of not directly spraying the cakes with any water, but only spraying the substrate the cake rests on in the FC

If you choose to use a FC w/perlite for humidity, you soak the perlite before use. It doesnt need to be misted.

Darkestfall

Ah, Well as I have seen with your FC, I did see that you implemented a humidifier, however I have seen other such FC's without a humidfier ex.  http://www.shroomery.org/10677/Monotub that seem to have brilliant success. Was wondering what the best route to choose would be as far making one (money not being a problem more or less)... Also it seems that casing seems to produce a higher and more concentrated yeild.. Is this true?

darksyde

Im in the midst of my 1st flush with the monotub tek.. Its cheaper and easier than the other FC's I use.  The downside to this tek is if you get contams, you lose the whole tub.  In my other FC's, I would just lose a cased tray.

Casing does provide a better pinset due to the gained water retention, under ideal conditions.

Darkestfall

Thanks Dub and Dark, the information should prove to be very helpful once i get setup here-- I'm sure this will not be my last set of questions, but thank you both for your time