How long can spore syringes stay good when stored in the fridge?

Started by zoomer, October 19, 2008, 08:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zoomer

I have 2 spore syringes, Hawiian and Original PF Tech. strains, that have been in my fridge for quite a while.  My question is how long can sopre syringes last when kept in the fridge?

Thanks
Zoomer

Baphom3t

Never kept mine in the fridge and after 6 years had them germinate.
If they are kept cool ,dry and dark, they may very well have a good chance at germinating.
Only way to find out is to innoc a few jars :D

Baph

zoomer

6 years and still good! in that case mine should be just fine as they have been in the fridge for 2 years.  There is only about 1cc left in each syringe, so what I was thinking of doing is fill the syringes back up with distilled water.  It should work fine since there appears to be plenty of spores in the 1cc of solution.  If you can see a clump of them then that should be enough to make a full 10cc syringe, correct?  If I can remember correctly you don't even have to be able to see the spores in the solution for it to be a good spore solution.

Ram

Well, just like they said it will originally last for 6 years. I have a plan germinate spores from 20 year old spore prints, and that is a problem. Are spores anything like seeds where after a few years they will lie 'dormant'?

Vandal_xx

Just make sure that if you are adding water to your syringes make sure the water has been boiled and you allow it to cool while covered. Adding water sounds like an invite for contams to me! Good luck bro
Feel good before dying!!!!!

moorhS

Spores and Mycelium can lay dorment for years... all it needs is the right conditions and "Vua La" fruit

Azurascender

Yeah, RR said something about placing spawn in the snow for months at a time and within days of the spawn being introduced back into proper growth parameters, noticed growth that appeared normal and unhindered by the extreme conditions.
Chloroform and a dish towel, yeah that will keep them quiet....