agar

Started by kinesis_1, July 31, 2008, 11:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kinesis_1

im looking to try an isolate strains using agar media. this will be my first time doing so and i want to hear how efficient or how troublesome it was to do. my plan is to inoculate 3 petri dishes and see witch one grows the best. ill take the one that dose the best and ill isolate the mycelum strain and use it to inoculate one jar. and then see how my mushrooms do. this is going to be a trial and error expirament for sure. but my hope is to isolate a good strain and keeps isolating the strains after it. is this a viable way to produce god strains. my reasoning behind this is that i want a strain that will grow and fruit well.

wizdumb

Yes this is a great way to improve yield.  I would suggest using a antibiotic in your agar which can be found at Sporeworks.  If not, do more than 3 dishes per strain to account for loss due to contamination.  Look for the fastest growing, most rizomorphic (ropy) segment and transfor that.  Good luck   

Baphom3t

"I would suggest using a antibiotic in your agar which can be found at Sporeworks"

NOT needed.
Waste of money.
There are many free agar TEKs.
Follow the TEK and viola,you have what you want.
Sporeworks is known to be slow with product and are not reliable.
You sound like you trying to push their product in this post and that's gay.

Obviously you have never worked with agar cause you can isolate contam from mycelium via transfers to new agar dishes.

Baph

captshroom

Agar Schmagar! Grow em eat em....not the desired affect? Grow more eat more! Of course...I might be trippin!
Peace out!

Baphom3t

lol @captshroom,
you got the concept of "grow more, eat more" down proper.
^_^ ^_^ ^_^

Baph