Steaming PF tech. substrate jars for 1.5h in a pot. Sucess rate?

Started by zoomer, October 19, 2008, 08:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zoomer

Does steaming VERM/BRF substrate jars in a pot with a lid for 1.5h work good at all?  What kind of sucess rate can I expect?

wizdumb

Go the X-tra mile and invest in a pressure cooker to insure success.  Down the road as you progress in this hobby you will be glad you did.  Make sure it has a pressure gauge and not just a weight.

sin2win

Quote from: zoomer on October 19, 2008, 08:39:00 AM
Does steaming VERM/BRF substrate jars in a pot with a lid for 1.5h work good at all?  What kind of sucess rate can I expect?
From what I been told and understand is yes, it does work good.  A PC is required for grains not the Pf-tek but yes its a good investment and a must if u want to do more advanced teks.  My 1st time growing and i just got 1, but for pf it's not necessary.

zoomer

Quote from: sin2win on October 19, 2008, 09:08:12 AM
Quote from: zoomer on October 19, 2008, 08:39:00 AM

thats excatly what I thought.  I used to use a little 7psi pressure cooker for BRF/VERM PF tech jars and it worked 100% of the time with no problems with contams.  Now when I start getting into grain jars for casings then I'll need a 15 psi PC, however I stilldon't feel that a gauge is 100% required.
   I'm going to steam some jars today and see how it works out

Thank you

High4life

yea its very much possible, remember you just need to achieve 212 degrees Feh for good sterilization, my first project I used the steam method with good outcomes so far. Check my forum "Colonization". Pressure cooker is to make you feel that 100% that your sterlized your jars. Its recommended to use the steam method for 1 hour and 1/2 but I did mines for 2 hours just to make me feel better and I let it cool down for about 4-5 hours, they recommend over night but as long as you feel the jar cool your ok. Jars can't be warm or hot when you innoculate.

Baphom3t

"Does steaming VERM/BRF substrate jars in a pot with a lid for 1.5h work good at all?"

Yes it works, if proper directions and amounts are followed.

"What kind of sucess rate can I expect?"

That depends on your sterility technique.
Sterility is key in this hobby,don't forget your messing with molds and bacteria as competing hosts for food.
The better your sterility technique, the better your succsess rate.  -_-

Baph